General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Sparkie
    Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 pm

I recently purchased and restored this P&H AC shop welder. It is extremely well built and heavy duty. There is not much information available on these machines and I'm hoping someone here can point me to a source. I would like to know its approximate age , I'm guessing late 50's or early 60's but I don't really know for sure. Thanks in advance for any help. Here it is:
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve

1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface
1990 Miller Dialarc 250
2003 Miller Maxstar STR
2015 Lincoln MP210
Victor & MECO torches
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I found one just like that welded into the structure inside a boiler house that was built from 1954-1957.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sparkie
    Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks, it very well could be that old, I have no clue. It's a very well built heavy duty machine. I bought it way cheaper with good leads than a new AC 225 buzzer. No comparison in the machines, this is way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve

1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface
1990 Miller Dialarc 250
2003 Miller Maxstar STR
2015 Lincoln MP210
Victor & MECO torches
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

1st generation of that series of P&H machines, 1962 at the newest. Tips over and lands hard real easy.
It's supposed to be butugly green!
P&H redesigned the housing, moved the fan to the back & gave it a big square tin box.
Also reoriented the transformer & reactor to reduce stress on the taps due to failures.
The tricycle wheel kit was no longer on Gen 2 because P&H got tired of getting calls about machines that tipped asking for free repairs. Cooling on Gen 1 sucked running long term because the top doesn't have sufficient discharge area for the hot air.

Electrically 1st and second generation were little different. Problem is P&H built every machine to order, and many are AC only. Military bought thousands of Gen 2 machines, and there is a fairly complete manual on line if the military database is functioning.

IF that machine drops hard on a concrete floor there is a good chance a tap will come loose and only minimal chance of repairing it. Mine bit the dust from the jolt going over a threshhold plate. I still have 2 gen 2 machines.

They do NOT like long TIG cables, 20 feet maximum. Polish the spark gap every 9 years. Oil the fan motor yearly.
Foot pedals have a value similar to silver of the same weight. There are no new foot pedal resistors left. If the Selenium rectifier craps out, replace it with diodes & a BIG heat sink.

Every one of them has a personality, and some will TIG like Kentucky bourbon & drive you nuts trying to stick weld with the machine.

Keep the TIG cable off the concrete floor!!!

I've only been welding with mine since 1978.