General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Horstrax
    Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Any one have any tips for me for welding 021 1 3/4 tone. Any idea on settings for mig welding or tips that might help me. I usauly can run an alright bead but my tube looks like crap.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Use 0.023" mig wire. Try stitch welding. Are you currently blowing through the material? What exactly is wrong with the welds?? What wire are you using right now? What machine are you using? how are the dials enumerated? What other controls does it have? What machine are you using? What settings are you currently using? What machine are you using??
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Oscar wrote:Use 0.023" mig wire. Try stitch welding. Are you currently blowing through the material? What exactly is wrong with the welds?? What wire are you using right now? What machine are you using? how are the dials enumerated? What other controls does it have? What machine are you using? What settings are you currently using? What machine are you using??
The life of Oscar is one of unending frustration... ;)

Kym
Horstrax

I am using a Miller 251 setting I have tried from 17v 250ws to 19v 305ws
18.5v 180ws seems to be best so far , tried welding the top than the bottom and then the sides but just not with appearance. Looking for any recommendations that might help.
Horstrax

Wire size I am using is .030 Tube is 1.75 x 120 Almost 1/8 wall thickness going to .024 seems small for that. Do you have any recommendation on settings.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Horstrax wrote:1.75 x 120 Almost 1/8 wall thickness
Okayyy.....so the title and first post say you are trying to weld 0.021 wall tubing. Which is it? :?:
Horstrax wrote:I am using a Miller 251 setting I have tried from 17v 250ws to 19v 305ws
18.5v 180ws seems to be best so far , tried welding the top than the bottom and then the sides but just not with appearance. Looking for any recommendations that might help.
Well, no one here can see the "appearance". Why don't we save a lot of time, and have you simply post a picture? It's worth a thousand words, and members here can give you much better help that you are asking for ;)
Horstrax

Ok I will get some pics and post them tomorrow
Horstrax

IMG_1335.JPG
Horstrax

This is what I am wanting to achieve
This is what I am wanting to achieve
IMG_1341.PNG (295.52 KiB) Viewed 817 times
This is one of the better ones but not what I am looking for
This is one of the better ones but not what I am looking for
IMG_1335.JPG (58.49 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Attachments
Another one
Another one
IMG_1338.JPG (38.91 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Horstrax

Here is the pics. Any ideas on what to change or try different to achieve a weld like in the one pic
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It looks like your settings in the second picture should work fine.

The fellow who did the weld you aspire to apparently has a lot of experience. He's set his welds up so he can go halfway around in one smooth pass, he's welding it downhill, he's experienced enough to know where to speed up and slow down to get an even width on the constantly changing profile of the weld (and he's moving a little faster than you), and he's good at keeping a near-constant gun angle, which is challenging on small tube.

Whew! How's that for a run-on sentence?

I guess what I'm saying is, you're almost there, and just need practice to get the appearance you want.

Steve S
Horstrax

Ok thanks so just keep on practicing and try to figure out how to go 1/2 way in one pass and maybe weld a little hitter and try to go a little faster.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Horstrax wrote:Ok thanks so just keep on practicing and try to figure out how to go 1/2 way in one pass and maybe weld a little hitter and try to go a little faster.
You could slow down the wire feed instead of going faster. If you're learning to weld tube/pipe, angle matters and that a lot easier to maintain when you aren't rushing to stay ahead of the puddle. Slower speed wire will also burn in your weld deeper and flatter.
Horstrax

Ok getting a lot better, am at 19v 300 ws .30 wire. Douse it look like I might be a little hot. I want good penitration. Tube size is actually .125 I guess.
Ok getting a lot better, am at 19v 300 ws .30 wire. Douse it look like I might be a little hot. I want good penitration. Tube size is actually .125 I guess.
50572124232__EC76ABFB-BC83-4FD2-AE82-B84B6C071E44.JPG (33.73 KiB) Viewed 562 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

That last example is pretty good. Your picture indicates a slightly too fast travel speed, but personally, I like the look of the weld (not too hot). If you did slow down just a little bit more for more consistency in your puddle, you would probably have to back off the heat.

Try 18.5v, 200ws (these parameters based on your prior posts) and keep the same motion as you did on the last weld. That's pretty darn good and a LOT better than I can do with a MIG on tubing.