It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:37 pm Advanced search

Acrylic Paint for Welding Hood?

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Acrylic Paint for Welding Hood?

Postby Ryan_82 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Hey Guys,

I like to do a lot of painting on canvas, kind of an artistic guy, and I was wondering if it was safe to paint a design on my welding hood with regular acrylic craft paint? Nothing fancy, just something to distinguish my hood at school a little. I have a cheap Jackson with a matte black finish but I recently upgraded to an ADF lens and I was wanting to jazz it up a little. I already wrote my name and a little cross (I'm a Christian) with some white out several months ago and no issues there. I guess my main concerns:

Will it randomly catch on fire?
Hurt the integrity of the plastic somehow?

Thanks!
Ryan_82

Re: Acrylic Paint for Welding Hood?

Postby Coldman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 am

I don't believe acrylic paint will hurt your helmet, but...

some sites you go on will not allow any aftermarket customisation including painting, stickers, leather neck guards taped or riveted on etc because of OH&S claims of helmet integrity violation. Unless of course its a union site. Apparently union stickers don't violate integrity. :lol:

be prepared to buy another helmet if you paint!
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 am

It may burn off but it is unlikely it will flame up. Some places I've worked won't allow stickers or paint or markers because it could compromise the integrity of the plastic. But I've seen hoods that have stickers and wrighting and paint on them that are decades old and show no signs of stress beyond wear and tear. Unless a teacher or employer says no paint then go for it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby MosquitoMoto » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 am

I've also been considering this.

And I don't work on anyone else's site, so I can do what I like with my hood. Have always thought something inspired by Ed Van Halen's FrankenStrat might be nice...
MosquitoMoto
Weldmonger

Postby Ryan_82 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:24 am

That'd be cool mosquito, can't go wrong with a frankenstein design. I actually have an album cover in mind for what I want to paint on mine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't really consider what a construction site might say about it. I'm not sure when I'll be pipe welding in the field since I've still got a little school left- 8 weeks maybe 16 left. Like I mentioned, it was just a Jackson passive shade helmet initially, about 40 bucks. I've tried some higher end helmets, including the viking 3350, but the jackson just fits better, especially with my respirator which I always wear when I'm stick welding. I got a nice ADF lens for about 75 dollars but I could always put it in another 40 dollar helmet if need be, since the Jackson base models are upgradable.

Again, I appreciate it. I guess I'll probably graffiti this one up before the next semester starts.
Ryan_82

Postby AndersK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 am

Don't forget to post the result here

If any one asks, say it's water based paint ;)
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:24 am

Poland308 wrote:It may burn off but it is unlikely it will flame up. Some places I've worked won't allow stickers or paint or markers because it could compromise the integrity of the plastic. But I've seen hoods that have stickers and wrighting and paint on them that are decades old and show no signs of stress beyond wear and tear. Unless a teacher or employer says no paint then go for it.

Heck...the only thing holding my hardhat together is the stickers. But I do know that in industrial settings, painting a hardhat is a big no no. Welding hoods aren't expected to shield you from an impact but I would bet chances are good that most places would frown on painting.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Olivero » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 am

Mines got paint and stickers on it :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:56 am

Interesting topic.
SavePhace sells hoods with custom paint by professional artists. I'd like to hear the safety man's take on these, since it's both "paint" and "OEM".
Acrylic enamel, urethane, and epoxy paints that can be made to stick to a plastic hood have similar flash points to the material the hood is made from, so flammability is not the argument the safety man makes. It's the potential effects the solvents in the paint have on the integrity of the hood. This is bureaucratic double-speak, because the hood's only purpose is to protect you from the UV and IR of the arc.
For what you have in it, I say paint it to your heart's content, and buy a second like it so you're covered on "that job".

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:52 am

The saftey Natzi and the building inspector have equal powers. They neither need to make sense, nor be concistant. Because they are gods among us mere mortals. ;) Just ask them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk