General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed on the site a little here and there, and if this thread needs to be merged I understand, but I had some specific questions for ya'll.

I am finishing up with my continuing education program at the community college pretty soon and I've been trying to make up my mind about whether to enter the pipe welding industry through a union or a private company. Here are some of my concerns regarding unions:

I'm almost 35 years old and not too keen on having to work a five year apprenticeship before really getting into what I feel passionate about. I'm not the world's greatest welder but I can confidently pass a 6G pipe test TIG/Stick, carbon/stainless, 2" or above. I don't really want to start back at square one, you know?

I am working on a master's degree in theology and may very well go on to a Phd in the near future. I'm worried about a union locking me in when I might need some flexibility with my pursuit of higher education. Ideally, I hope I get good enough to work nuclear shutdowns piecemeal rather than working 6 or 7 days a week all year in a fab shop or long term construction job. I'm taking my education a step at a time and not really sure where it will lead. Right now, I'm primarily focused on learning this trade very well so it can fund school in the future or even a potential church plant if I decide to go the ministerial route.

I live in the south (NC) and I'm really just not that familiar with collective bargaining. I hear about it as a political talking point, but it's just not that big of a deal down here, although there is a union hall specifically for welding about 45 mins from me. I'm not married, nor do I have children, so I'm perfectly willing to travel, I'm just not sure whether to become a union man or a free agent.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Ryan_82 wrote:Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed on the site a little here and there, and if this thread needs to be merged I understand, but I had some specific questions for ya'll.

I am finishing up with my continuing education program at the community college pretty soon and I've been trying to make up my mind about whether to enter the pipe welding industry through a union or a private company. Here are some of my concerns regarding unions:

I'm almost 35 years old and not too keen on having to work a five year apprenticeship before really getting into what I feel passionate about. I'm not the world's greatest welder but I can confidently pass a 6G pipe test TIG/Stick, carbon/stainless, 2" or above. I don't really want to start back at square one, you know?

I am working on a master's degree in theology and may very well go on to a Phd in the near future. I'm worried about a union locking me in when I might need some flexibility with my pursuit of higher education. Ideally, I hope I get good enough to work nuclear shutdowns piecemeal rather than working 6 or 7 days a week all year in a fab shop or long term construction job. I'm taking my education a step at a time and not really sure where it will lead. Right now, I'm primarily focused on learning this trade very well so it can fund school in the future or even a potential church plant if I decide to go the ministerial route.

I live in the south (NC) and I'm really just not that familiar with collective bargaining. I hear about it as a political talking point, but it's just not that big of a deal down here, although there is a union hall specifically for welding about 45 mins from me. I'm not married, nor do I have children, so I'm perfectly willing to travel, I'm just not sure whether to become a union man or a free agent.

i would get in contact with the union and ask some questions of them.. see what they have to say.. what they say might make the decision quick and easy.. or harder but never hurts to ask
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.

ryanjames170 wrote:
Ryan_82 wrote:Hey guys,

i would get in contact with the union and ask some questions of them.. see what they have to say.. what they say might make the decision quick and easy.. or harder but never hurts to ask
Yes, that is a good idea. I had a meeting a couple of weeks ago. Basically, I would have to start as an apprentice even if I pass the pipe test (which wouldn't be an issue). It is a five year program with a payscale that coincides with each year. The fifth year is around 23.00 dollars an hour with good benefits. He said I could probably start out as a 2nd year apprentice, but again, I'm 34 and sort of anxious to get out there. Plus I've spent the last year and a half welding at the community college 40+ hours a week and I'm ready to be a pipe welder.

I guess basically I'm asking, is the union benefits/experience etc.. so good that a 3-4 year waiting period is worth it? I was hoping some union guys might give me some perspective.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Go union if you want to be out of work 8 months of the year. Sure some guys make 100 gs a year but they have clout with the hall.Plenty of hacks playing hide and seek for a grand a week and a few guys welding. New guys get to suck hind tit and get lots of promises that never come true. I am union and it sucks! I can run circles around most of the guys in my hall but I refuse to kiss anyones ass so I don't get called. Fuck the unions!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Yep-my sentiments exactly. I owned a small contruction company for 30 years. I treated my people well with as many perks as possible as long as they held up their end. Everyone had an understanding that if somehow a union got in I would just hand over the keys before I went broke. At one time when unions started to form in response to terrible unsafe working conditions and pay they were dedicated to the noble cause of helping the working people. Unfortunatly over time they have morphed into a parasitic business mainly concerned with collecting union dues from the members paychecks on a regular basis. They throw out carrots to the members- more pay for less work etc. My brother got sucked into a union at his work that was not wanted by most of the employees -main result- poor employee moral and they actually lost money on the deal after they pay their mandatory union dues. Short story long I have a nephew -mid 20s who is just starting his final community collage course to get his carpenters licence. He is an extremely meticulous fine carpenter -a perfectionist. He is trying to decide whether to join a carpenters union or perhaps try to go on his own. Myself and other family members see him joining the union as being a shamefull waste of talent. We are trying to explain to him that even in this throw away society that there is still a demand for true craftsmanship. It would be to bad to see him sitting waitingifor the phone to ring to send him to some dirty job that senority doesn't want. My 2 cents worth. :x
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

If you joined a union and you lose your job or want to go somewhere else there could be issues with union membership as well. I have no Union experience but since you already have the skills you may want TK just find a private company.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess the general consensus so far is definitively non-union. My grandfather was part of an electrician's union for his whole life but I guess a lot has changed since those days as some of you have mentioned. I've sort of being leaning away from it, and your concerns affirm that impulse, but I'd still be interested to hear any positive arguments from a union welder if they're game.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

homeboy wrote:Yep-my sentiments exactly. I owned a small contruction company for 30 years. I treated my people well with as many perks as possible as long as they held up their end. Everyone had an understanding that if somehow a union got in I would just hand over the keys before I went broke. At one time when unions started to form in response to terrible unsafe working conditions and pay they were dedicated to the noble cause of helping the working people. Unfortunatly over time they have morphed into a parasitic business mainly concerned with collecting union dues from the members paychecks on a regular basis. They throw out carrots to the members- more pay for less work etc. My brother got sucked into a union at his work that was not wanted by most of the employees -main result- poor employee moral and they actually lost money on the deal after they pay their mandatory union dues. Short story long I have a nephew -mid 20s who is just starting his final community collage course to get his carpenters licence. He is an extremely meticulous fine carpenter -a perfectionist. He is trying to decide whether to join a carpenters union or perhaps try to go on his own. Myself and other family members see him joining the union as being a shamefull waste of talent. We are trying to explain to him that even in this throw away society that there is still a demand for true craftsmanship. It would be to bad to see him sitting waitingifor the phone to ring to send him to some dirty job that senority doesn't want. My 2 cents worth. :x
Whatever you do, don't let him waste his talent in the union. I am a union carpenter and joining the union was the worst mistake I ever made. If you are a good worker and are quality conscious, they get mad at you. I have been told several times to SLOW DOWN because I was working too hard and "killing the job". There was a non-union outfit out of Michigan building a funeral parlor 2 blocks from my house so I called my hall and they told me they had already been out there. I drive up there and look in the parking lot to see if any of our guys were there and there wasn't . The hall went out there and gave them all permits (at $500 a pop) and let them work while us regular members sat home on un-employment and I am a good carpenter but the hacks get to work becuse they are under the BAs desk all the time.. I have tons of stories like that. Talk your nephew out of the union at all costs. I will talk to him myself if you want me too. They don't care how good he is...they will use him up and throw him away. I really hate the unions now.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I think the benefits of the union vary based on the given local. I'm happy in the local I'm in. It's not perfect but there is a lot of industry in my area. I haven't been layed off in 6 years. I only go to the hall to pay my dues. And I've never shared a beer with anybody who works in the hall. I had the option to apply for credit due to previous experience. But once I got the training started I took all the classes I could. Our local has day school for the aprenticeship so you go a week at a time and draw unemployment for that week. 6 weeks a year. Yes the pay at the aprenticeship till about 3rd year sucked but I viewed it as a trade for the training.
I have more questions than answers

Josh