General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Anyone that thinks they know everything about anything or everything is living a very boring life. No new cool things to learn or try to figure out. :o
TDLanders
    Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:42 am

Olivero wrote:Realize that most guys that think they know everything about something or think they know how to do something, rarely do.

I think its extremely rare that you see someone here saying "I am the best welder in the area" or just "I am really good at welding" OR "I have been welding for so long, this is what you want"

We are all very humble people, because we know that there is more to learn, when someone says "I know everything about this" they slam the gate shut to learn more about it, just the way it is.

So when you see these guys telling you what you need or want, challenge them and see if they actually know what they are doing or talking about, at least then, they might stop acting like it when they realize they don't and the next guy won't get the same load of crap.

I try to be nice when people throw stuff like that at me, but if they ain't got the scars to show for it, I won't take their word.

For the record, deerskin gloves are awesome. I use Millers Classic TIG series now, because they are soft. My boss only uses deerskin ones, he's been welding for over 20 years.

I will be ordering a set of bambie mittens. I found Clinton Metal Company while recycling old appliances. I asked the manager and gave him a card. So hopefully if a good plate or load on tube comes in he can help me out.
are you crazy?
TDLanders

homeboy wrote:Anyone that thinks they know everything about anything or everything is living a very boring life. No new cool things to learn or try to figure out. :o
geothermal aquaponic greenhouse in zone 7 :roll: :idea:
are you crazy?
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

TDLanders wrote:
Olivero wrote:Realize that most guys that think they know everything about something or think they know how to do something, rarely do.

I think its extremely rare that you see someone here saying "I am the best welder in the area" or just "I am really good at welding" OR "I have been welding for so long, this is what you want"

We are all very humble people, because we know that there is more to learn, when someone says "I know everything about this" they slam the gate shut to learn more about it, just the way it is.

So when you see these guys telling you what you need or want, challenge them and see if they actually know what they are doing or talking about, at least then, they might stop acting like it when they realize they don't and the next guy won't get the same load of crap.

I try to be nice when people throw stuff like that at me, but if they ain't got the scars to show for it, I won't take their word.

For the record, deerskin gloves are awesome. I use Millers Classic TIG series now, because they are soft. My boss only uses deerskin ones, he's been welding for over 20 years.

I will be ordering a set of bambie mittens. I found Clinton Metal Company while recycling old appliances. I asked the manager and gave him a card. So hopefully if a good plate or load on tube comes in he can help me out.
Bambie mittens.... Haha :lol:

my gloves are supplied so I try to change them pretty often, I have an apprentice as well but he doesen't weld a whole lot at the moment, too much of other stuff but I tend to wear my gloves down a bit, get a new pair and give him the old ones.

When I first started out, I bought my gloves at 7-11 and wore a sweater while welding because its all I had with a long sleeve for almost 1 year! :lol:

Then I started getting the good stuff once I showed I could so something real :lol:

I still have that sweater and I hold on to it because it reminds me of the fact that you don't need all the fancy shit to weld, you just weld.
The guy I am teching was saying he needed better gloves and bla. bla. so I showed him the sweater, the enitre chest area is browning due to the UV burns :lol: Told him when he did something worth while, I would get him stuff. Then he did and now he's getting the hand-me-downs :D
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Bambi Mittens.... I like that :lol:

After all these years and all the different stuff I've tried, I've found I prefer to weld with cheap-o goat skin bulk-pack work gloves from Fastenal. I rarely wear long sleeves unless I'm migging overhead, stick welding, or plasma cutting. I just give my arms a good coat of SPF-45 or better, and no more flashburn. I'm not outright recommending that to anyone, it's just what I'm comfortable with.

In very hot weather, I'll wear very light shirts and then the SPF goes on like I'm at the beach, because you can be burned through thin fabric, especially when it gets sweaty.

Another good use for sunblock is when working in a confined space or around other welders, to protect your neck and ears from light coming in from behind.

Steve S
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Bambi Mittens.... I like that :lol:

After all these years and all the different stuff I've tried, I've found I prefer to weld with cheap-o goat skin bulk-pack work gloves from Fastenal. I rarely wear long sleeves unless I'm migging overhead, stick welding, or plasma cutting. I just give my arms a good coat of SPF-45 or better, and no more flashburn. I'm not outright recommending that to anyone, it's just what I'm comfortable with.

In very hot weather, I'll wear very light shirts and then the SPF goes on like I'm at the beach, because you can be burned through thin fabric, especially when it gets sweaty.

Another good use for sunblock is when working in a confined space or around other welders, to protect your neck and ears from light coming in from behind.

Steve S
Yeah, I have heard that using sunscreen is just fine but apparently it only blocks certain types or wavelengths of the UV where clothing would offer more blocking. I have yet to find a good unscented sunscreen so I stick to my sleeves, my shop is air conditioned so when I am in it, its all good.

Then there is when I am repairing a bollard outside when its summer in Florida in the nice sun baking me, I just bite the bullet and get a burn because there is no way in hell, I am wearing any more clothing than I have to on jobs like that.

Just no way, I think its more dangerous for me to sweat that much than to get a small burn :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way

Olivero wrote: Then there is when I am repairing a bollard outside when its summer in Florida in the nice sun baking me, I just bite the bullet and get a burn because there is no way in hell, I am wearing any more clothing than I have to on jobs like that.

Just no way, I think its more dangerous for me to sweat that much than to get a small burn :lol:
I'm sure dermatologists would disagree with this reasoning, just drink plenty of water not soda. ;)
Richard
Website
TDLanders

Otto Nobedder wrote:Bambi Mittens.... I like that :lol:

Steve S
I just get extra chocolatey after most builds if I don't have on sleeves to keep from getting spatter burnt, reverse farmers tan.
are you crazy?
TDLanders

Did some shopping today and well it seems I am getting the best price for new steel in the DMV. MS wanted $175 for 2 sheets of 16ga hot so I went to Posner and spent about $60 less with 3 cans of green paint to kick the frog.
are you crazy?