General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Last year I made (and posted) a cart based on Jody's open frame concept made from 1-1/2" square tube. I have plenty of 1-1/4" sched 40 pipe on the rack, castors off a junked display fridge, and wheels off an axial man cooler so I have the materials to make another one out of pipe when (and if) I get the time. Started looking everywhere for templates for pipe XYZ corner joints and couldn't find any. Anyone know of the existence of these?
Anyway I decided to make my own template and I post my results here if anyone is interested or has a use. Could be good for furniture or anything. Maybe someone has a better, faster way of doing it.

First tacked together a bandsaw cut mitre joint for X-Y positions
X2.jpg
X2.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Then tacked a square cut piece into Z position with pipe wrap chalk mark.
X7.jpg
X7.jpg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 606 times
and used a piece of tig wire to transpose measurements to paper from chalk line to touch point of X-Y pieces at various points around the Z pipe to make a wrap template.

This is the result:
X1.jpg
X1.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 606 times
And this is what the Z pipe looks like (cut with a worn 5" wafer disc):
X6.jpg
X6.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 606 times
And fits like a glove:
X3.jpg
X3.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Last year I made (and posted) a cart based on Jody's open frame concept made from 1-1/2" square tube. I have plenty of 1-1/4" sched 40 pipe on the rack, castors off a junked display fridge, and wheels off an axial man cooler so I have the materials to make another one out of pipe when (and if) I get the time. Started looking everywhere for templates for pipe XYZ corner joints and couldn't find any. Anyone know of the existence of these?
Anyway I decided to make my own template and I post my results here if anyone is interested or has a use. Could be good for furniture or anything. Maybe someone has a better, faster way of doing it.
First tacked together a bandsaw cut mitre joint for X-Y positions

Then tacked a square cut piece into Z position with pipe wrap chalk mark.

and used a piece of tig wire to transpose measurements to paper from chalk line to touch point of X-Y pieces at various points around the Z pipe to make a wrap template.

This is the result:

And this is what the Z pipe looks like (cut with a worn 5" wafer disc):

And fits like a glove:
Well done, isn't math great! ;)
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well done Coldie - good result!

Kym
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Love it, Coldman. I think that's the first time coordinate mapping a cope has been demonstrated here.

Well done!

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hey how bout that!
Thanks fellas. I was a little surprised when I could not find anything in my books or on the web.
Guess I better get on with the cart now. I can see some challenges getting all the spacer pipes clocked perfectly both ends and all the same length. Maybe i should try cutting and shaping with plasma instead of cutting disc. Also warpage could be an interference so I think I'll tack the whole thing together well before welding anything out.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

Looks great. I've done the same but used a hole saw in a drill press, grinding a flat for the pilot bit..full weld of the miter before drilling. Just halfway drilled. Goes faster too if you can find the right hole saws for the tube wall thickness.