General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I was supposed to learn how to manually cope pipe with math but that didn't happen and I really would like to know so if anyone can find me a resource or any info on the math to figuring it out and hand coping pipe with torch/grinder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Farmwelding wrote:So I was supposed to learn how to manually cope pipe with math but that didn't happen and I really would like to know so if anyone can find me a resource or any info on the math to figuring it out and hand coping pipe with torch/grinder.

Best resource I know is this - I use it all the time:

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Kym
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

A really good low cost book to have that shows all pipe math is:
B3.jpg
B3.jpg (98.41 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
B2.jpg
B2.jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I did something similar in TAFE when I did mechanical services for my plumbing cert.

Not sure if its the same method but it involved drawing it on a piece of paper and using a protractor to measure degree divisions and transposing them on to another piece of paper? Seemed awfully time consuming at the time. Long ago I got lazy and started using a drill press and holesaw. I guess the main difference was the first method was for cutting in junctions in pipe for fire services, that is for cutting both pieces so the finished joint could flow water as opposed to holesawing one side and welding together such as in bike frames, roll cages and such.

I couldn't find anything on google, all links seem to go to calculators. I'll try and work out what I did. I'm sure it had something to do with calculating the circumfrence, halving it so you had the half way points on a piece of pipe... errr.. I can't remember much more. I'll have a think about it

Coldman, is the pipe math in that book along these lines or something completely different?

Moto's link shows half of it. There is a drawing or way to transpose the drawing show for a cut on the receiving pipe.. if that make sense.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Moto's link is to a program that prints out a wrap template for coping a branch pipe by entering the two diameters, no maths involved.
The handbook gives methods, calculations and diagrams for everything pipe including lobsterbacks, branches for all angles coping and coupons, branches on elbows, marking out offsets plus a whole lot more.
If you want to cope a pipe fast, use the printout a template program. If you need to do it manually, like in school, the handbook is excellent. If you need to do something non-standard or difficult, the handbook shows you how.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You can also do a Google search for the Tube Miter program. Essentially the same thing, and runs standalone. Works pretty good.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The nice thing about the math and template method is that you can draw it out anywhere. Internet / computer or not. And if you make your template out of something durable like an old wraparound then it's reusable. All you need to know is what size or sizes of pipe and what angle you want them to end up.
I have more questions than answers

Josh