General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Okay now that we got test results let's check couple of other things.
1. Your tungsten stick out, how much do you have. With a #5 standard you can not have much stickout I use CK worldwide recommendation that stick out be no more than 3 times diameter of tungsten. Also #5 is not gonna give you real good gas coverage as you move forward. The metal behind the weld pool will be exposed to the oxygen while still hot. Cup just not big enough to cover that area. To me this cup is waste of time on stainless to begin with.

2. What did your tungsten look like after test, was it blue or black instead of looking like it's normal color. If so increase post flow so gas keeps tungsten from oxidizing while hot.

3. Make sure to keep torch over area after you stop arc until post flow stops

4. Arc length keep tight arc length. Here is what I mean by tight length, arc length is same as tungsten
0114171323b_HDR-1.jpg
0114171323b_HDR-1.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
5. Correct any issues above and retest.

Took some sample pics to give you stick out reference and how weld pool looks with couple of different cups. Same tungsten and flow rates for all just different collets and cups. These are just puddling metal. Used same piece of metal wire brushed between cup changes. Can see old puddle from previous cup in couple of pics.

This is a number 5 cup 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten 1/8 304 stainless flow is 15. Notice some blue coloring in puddle around core.
0114171303a_HDR-1.jpg
0114171303a_HDR-1.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
Number 8 cup. Notice it gets used more than standard cup. Personally never use standard cups, figure I get better coverage with a lens why bother with regular collet bodies. Notice puddle is shiny, blue color is outside of weld puddle. I should have used a new lens, This lens is headed out to junk pile, has crap built up on screen.
0114171256b_HDR-1.jpg
0114171256b_HDR-1.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
1 1/8 inch cup. This cup I get better results if I turn up flow for this demonstration it is same setting though.
0114171315b_HDR-1.jpg
0114171315b_HDR-1.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

Thanks for the info. I just piced up a #8 cup to try. I will order a gas lens kit soon as my budget allows.
For now I will go through what you posted and will get back to you when I`m done.
My machine is all manual, so I am the pre flow and post flow control.
My Tungsten stays clean, I guess I either have the flow correct for that or am holding longer. I ussually count to five for pre and post. Thanks.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Your welcome hope you get it figured out.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Danylo66 wrote:Thanks for the info. I just piced up a #8 cup to try. I will order a gas lens kit soon as my budget allows.
For now I will go through what you posted and will get back to you when I`m done.
My machine is all manual, so I am the pre flow and post flow control.
My Tungsten stays clean, I guess I either have the flow correct for that or am holding longer. I ussually count to five for pre and post. Thanks.
You can start welding before you count to one for your preflow my friend. You're just wasting argon in 95% of the cases

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Danylo66

1/16 Stainless square tube.
1/16 Stainless square tube.
IMG_20170204_131141523.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Pie cut 3" Stainless practice.
Pie cut 3" Stainless practice.
IMG_20170401_231318339.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Hopefully I uploaded this properly. Thanks to everyone for your input. I took everyones advice and applied it to my welds. Turns out that the fitting on my regulator had a tiny leak in it, as well as the valve on the bottle.
It took me a long time to find this, as I was trying out all the different ideas that everyone posted.
It was frustrating but in the end with all your help I believe ive become a better welder.
Great learning experience.
From now on i will do a leak test more often. I need to pick up some more leak test solution, but its cheaper then running out of Argon to quickly. The Argon supplier changed out the bottle at no charge. Later when I found the leak at the regulator I offered to pay for the bottle, but he would not take the money. I offered to pay at least half and we settled at that, so that was good.
:D :D
THANKS Danylo Iwanusiw
Attachments
Last fitting afterthe regulator leaked.
Last fitting afterthe regulator leaked.
IMG_20170403_193241540.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Wow... Thats a nice welding supply store
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Danylo66

Yes there great. Not sure if i can post there name, don`t know the rules on that, They have been so patient with me since I started. I walked in the first time and stated I know nothing about Tig welding and they walked me through of what I needed. Even Gave me discounts as opposed to the other suppliers. Not bad mouthing the others, they are only able to do so much.

Danylo66 wrote: I need to pick up some more leak test solution, but its cheaper then running out of Argon to quickly. :D :D
THANKS Danylo Iwanusiw
Try using water with dish washing soap mixed in, it will bubble if you have a leak, and it's free.
Richard
Website
Danylo66

I was always under the impression that soapy water affects the gas.
If it does not thats great alot cheaper.
Thanks

Danylo66 wrote:I was always under the impression that soapy water affects the gas.
Thanks
Not sure I follow what you're saying, you're using the solution to check around gas connections for leaks, right? I use a small brush, like an acid brush to apply.
acid brush.jpg
acid brush.jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your worried about corrosion then go to a heating and cooling supplier. Look for something like this

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu-Calgon-41 ... ector-6-oz

It will already have an applicator in the cap. And that is enough to last you years.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Danylo66

LtBadd wrote:
Danylo66 wrote:I was always under the impression that soapy water affects the gas.
Thanks
Not sure I follow what you're saying, you're using the solution to check around gas connections for leaks, right? I use a small brush, like an acid brush to apply.
acid brush.jpg
I get what your saying, but I heard it was not good to use dish sopa. But if you have used it and the weld was not affected then I will give it a try.
Danylo66

Poland308 wrote:If your worried about corrosion then go to a heating and cooling supplier. Look for something like this

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu-Calgon-41 ... ector-6-oz

It will already have an applicator in the cap. And that is enough to last you years.
Ill look into it Thanks :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

If you use a quart of distilled water, this is awesome bubble solution for your kids.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

If you use a quart of distilled water, this is awesome bubble solution for your kids.

Steve S
Yea, we have the Swagelok at work also...Swagelok = $$$ but also quality, some years back I got to fly out of Clearwater on Swagelok's jet with a group to tour their facilities, great experience.
Richard
Website
Danylo66

Otto Nobedder wrote:The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

Steve S
Thanks. Any idea what the Glycerin does? I`ll Google just to know . :)

The glycerin provides a super-thin film of oil over the bubbles to slow drying, so they are apparent before they burst. This same property makes it a great addition to a child's bubble mix.

Steve S

Swagelok has a great sense of humor as a company. To order a bulk pack of their trolls of Teflon tape, for example, it shows up on the order form as "Strip, T's". Their anaerobic Teflon pipe dope is "SWAK".

Love it.

Steve S
Danylo66

Otto Nobedder wrote:The glycerin provides a super-thin film of oil over the bubbles to slow drying, so they are apparent before they burst. This same property makes it a great addition to a child's bubble mix.

Steve S
Cool Thank you. :o :D
Juni_1976
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

I've noticed that my tips burn up and the porosity is horrible