General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your worried about corrosion then go to a heating and cooling supplier. Look for something like this

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu-Calgon-41 ... ector-6-oz

It will already have an applicator in the cap. And that is enough to last you years.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

LtBadd wrote:
Danylo66 wrote:I was always under the impression that soapy water affects the gas.
If it does not thats great alot cheaper.
Thanks
Not sure I follow what you're saying, you're using the solution to check around gas connections for leaks, right? I use a small brush, like an acid brush to apply.
acid brush.jpg
I get what your saying, but I heard it was not good to use dish sopa. But if you have used it and the weld was not affected then I will give it a try.
Danylo66

Poland308 wrote:If your worried about corrosion then go to a heating and cooling supplier. Look for something like this

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Nu-Calgon-41 ... ector-6-oz

It will already have an applicator in the cap. And that is enough to last you years.
Ill look into it Thanks :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

If you use a quart of distilled water, this is awesome bubble solution for your kids.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

If you use a quart of distilled water, this is awesome bubble solution for your kids.

Steve S
Yea, we have the Swagelok at work also...Swagelok = $$$ but also quality, some years back I got to fly out of Clearwater on Swagelok's jet with a group to tour their facilities, great experience.
Richard
Website
Danylo66

Otto Nobedder wrote:The leak detector solution we use at work is the name-brand Swagelok Snoop, because that's what a major client specifies, and it works great. For a dirt-cheap home-made alternative, use one gallon distilled water, one tablespoon plain green dish detergent (like Polmolive), and one teaspoon Glycerin (available at better pharmacies).

Steve S
Thanks. Any idea what the Glycerin does? I`ll Google just to know . :)

The glycerin provides a super-thin film of oil over the bubbles to slow drying, so they are apparent before they burst. This same property makes it a great addition to a child's bubble mix.

Steve S

Swagelok has a great sense of humor as a company. To order a bulk pack of their trolls of Teflon tape, for example, it shows up on the order form as "Strip, T's". Their anaerobic Teflon pipe dope is "SWAK".

Love it.

Steve S
Danylo66

Otto Nobedder wrote:The glycerin provides a super-thin film of oil over the bubbles to slow drying, so they are apparent before they burst. This same property makes it a great addition to a child's bubble mix.

Steve S
Cool Thank you. :o :D
Juni_1976
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

I've noticed that my tips burn up and the porosity is horrible