General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
matt4x4
    Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Decastar 180E (160A, 1ph, 230V)

Here is a link to the welder

http://www.decaweld.com/en/home/decasta ... 37.uw.aspx

Is this a decent welder for doing body panels and bikes, probably no more then 1/2" steel.

I also found a 135E Deca and also a Vaper Mig 175-T

all in my price range $200 (Vaper), $300 (180E) and $350 (135E).

I just want wire feed and perhaps maybe later on able to do gas.

Decastar is an old Princess Auto/Harbor Freight brand.
Brand new welder from HomeDepot.ca
$449.00 / Each - Century 80gl Flux - Cored Wire Feed Welder - Lincoln Electric
$489.00 / Each - Handy MIG Wire Feed Welder - Lincoln Electric
..............and up the cost goes..............
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Haven't seen this particular Italian power source so can't attest to quality. If it's like other cheap Italian migs coming into Australia, it's an entry level power source meant for home/handyman light duty. If you are doing auto body work for a living this power source is not for you. If you are doing hobby restoration work in your home garage it should be fine.

You won't be welding 1/2" steel with it. You need 250A + for that. 1/2" plate mig is not hobby work, if that's what you want to do you should look for a second hand branded work horse to keep in your price range.

Generally with mig you should get the biggest power source you can afford unless you know you are only ever going to weld thin sheet. Migs run out of oomf quick when you start increasing plate thickness and you don't want to be running your machine at maximum amps all the time, you should aim for 50-75% duty so as not to flog it.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
matt4x4
    Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:19 pm

If I buy brand name, use it for a bit - how ever long I need it, then sell it used and get most of my money back.
Do all brand name welders hold their value good. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart etc.

How much would I expect back? 50% 65% 75%?
Are inverter units better to buy for resale value and quickness of sale.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I'm in Oz, can't help you with that.

We need MinnasotaDave to help with this. He's a second hand guru. Over to you Dave.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'