General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Does anyone have a good way to clean magnets? I constantly am annoyed by the metal dust attracted to them.
The triangle type seem to be the worst, it all builds up between layers,
A simple careful wipe with a cloth helps but dont get as much as i would like.tried another magnets with a simple shape that's easy to clean, don't work well.
Attachments
welding_magnet_3.jpg
welding_magnet_3.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 797 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Wipe 'em off with a rag... it's all you can do. They pick up everything so you have to be diligent about cleaning them but that's life.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

A product called fun-tack is an adhesive clay. It will pull metal particles off the magnets. Knead it and it pull more until it becomes saturated, it will clean many magnets before this happens.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I use a wire wheel in a B+D 1/4in impact driver with a 3/8 keyless chuck hex drive adapter. I use this for cleaning welds etc. with a whole selection of various shapes and sizes of wheels. Any drill will do but I like this -no cord. My experience is wear a glove on the hand holding the magnet. I use a 3in wheel a lot and just takes a second to clean. Another way I do it is with a blow gun on a air hose.I use a light brass bristle brush. A steel one might eat up your magnet. :ugeek:
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks much for the responses, really good ideas!!!
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have used high pressure compressed air with good results.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Second for the compressed air. Just watch your eyes and fingers.

Mick