General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

AR15DCM wrote:That is why I was hoping to find someone local that posts here. Maybe find out who they are using etc...
Actually Airgas was cheaper than Nextair. So far the Airgas folks have been really nice and helping answering my questions.

If I cant find a mom & pop I will probably go with Airgas.
Maybe Airgas is listening and reading about how they are hated and cleaning up their act a little. The one in Joliet Il' is full of jerks that act like you're bothering them when you come in the door. I found a little mom and pop lws when I bought a bandsaw off Craigslist...the owner was the manager of the store. They treat you like family there. Every time I go there I leave with tons of free samples of grinding wheels and flap disks, booby calendars sometimes work gloves. Love that place.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm in NC and totally agree about Airgas. I've got an account with them and Arc3. I use Airgas just in case and they're closer. They're way expensive and do treat me like I just walked in off the street and haven't done business with them a lot in the past. Arc3 filled my argon tank (150) for like $18. Airgas $53. :shock:

Arc3 gives you the contents of the tank for free the first time you buy one too. Airgas does not. No surprise.
    Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:51 am

All of the local shops I have found only deal in propane. I am still looking, but so far I have not found anything

Every time you see one of these in your area, get the name and number off the side. Not all are BIG names. These are "local" deliverers, and have a local base of operations, and most will have retail. Granted, it might be 30 or 40 miles from Buford, but if it's a "mom and pop", it may well be worth the drive.
deliveryimagelink.jpg
deliveryimagelink.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Every time you see one of these in your area, get the name and number off the side. Not all are BIG names. These are "local" deliverers, and have a local base of operations, and most will have retail. Granted, it might be 30 or 40 miles from Buford, but if it's a "mom and pop", it may well be worth the drive.
deliveryimagelink.jpg
Steve S
To be honest I have never, ever, seen a gas cylinder delivery truck in my area. I posted a suggestion in the feedback forum asking about maybe adding a source list of welding gas dealers.

How about this one in Loganville?

http://palmerweldingsupply.com/

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:How about this one in Loganville?

http://palmerweldingsupply.com/

Steve S
That is not terribly far from me at all. The traffic will suck, but 24 miles isnt bad. I wonder why they never came up on any of my searches...?
Palmer Welding Distance.png
Palmer Welding Distance.png (7.55 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Palmer Welding Photo.png
Palmer Welding Photo.png (260.61 KiB) Viewed 964 times

As an update...

I went to Palmers Welding Supply and met Trey and his wife. They are really nice folks.

So a 330cf +/- tank of Argon, yearly rental, is $80+tax including the first fill. Refills are $68 and if they come to do the swap out there is a $10 fee. Which for me, someone with disabilities, I will gladly pay the $10 instead of lifting the tank, loading it into the truck, and driving it over there.

So now I just need to get the tank out of the truck and get it hooked up to the welder and I will be set.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that they also own a metal supply company which is right next door to the welding shop. I bought 20ft of 1-1/4" 1/16" thick wall, 20ft long square tube for $90 I think it was I need to find the receipt to be sure. The whole bill with tax and cut fee ($5) was around $188 I think.