General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
marklackley
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi,
I'm a beginner welder and I have an auto-darkening helmet. I'm worried that I'm not getting the shade setting right (too light and I damage my eyes and too dark and I have trouble seeing the weld pool). Is there a helmet that I can simply set on "weld" and it will pick its own setting that's the ideal shade for safety and seeing the weld? I've read about "auto darkening filter" helmets but I'm not sure what that means. Please suggest a professional quality helmet with such a feature if it exists. Thanks.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. This helmet is a bit expensive but I've heard good things about it and there might be better deals on the interweb. If you haven't watched some helmet videos for some tips to getting shades down or looking at a chart I'd start there. http://optrel.wpengine.com/shop/helmet-2/e684/
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have Miller Digital Elites and an Infinity. Both have multiple modes, auto-on, and an "AutoSense" that allows you to hold the share button and it samples the ambient light, and proposes settings for you. You may still need to tweak them a touch or two. I bought the Inifinty recently from Indiana Oxygen on sale. And I really, really love it.
marklackley

Farmwelding wrote:Welcome to the forum. This helmet is a bit expensive but I've heard good things about it and there might be better deals on the interweb. If you haven't watched some helmet videos for some tips to getting shades down or looking at a chart I'd start there. http://optrel.wpengine.com/shop/helmet-2/e684/
Thanks Farmwelding. I'll look into the Optrel.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

+1 for the Optrel

They set the shade automatically from what I've read and give you a +/- adjustment to suit personal preference.

Auto darkening helmet and auto darkening filter are one and the same thing.

I don't think the shade setting is that important safety wise. I think any shade in the welding range say 8-13 is going to block 99% of the damaging UV. Don't think they'd get away with all the potential litigation if that was the case.

I have a Lincoln 3350 that I bought last year. I bought it for the big viewing area more than anything. However I've since found the biggest improvement has been to add more lighting. With plenty of light on the work piece I get a better contrast with weld/arc/work piece. More light on the work piece reduces the brightness difference between the arc and the pool/workpiece somewhat making it much more pleasant.

I really really want one of these when they come out.

http://www.optrel.com/en/products/eye-p ... r-horizon/
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't remember where I saw the chart but I know that either osha or the AWS had a chart wit welding amperage a and shades. As you go up in amperage you have a brighter arc so you are definitely going to want to increase your shade a little bit. Now if everything you do is mig welding at 19-20 volts all day or tig weld at 75 amps then obviuosly you can stay but if one minute you're welding sheet metal with tig and then go into the next project with dual shield flux core or 7018s on some 1/2" plate you are going to want to change. The shear brightness can still strain the eyeballs. Just remember that on the other side of that hood is the sun.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Just wanted to add some important useful info. ;) The modern welding hoods have a built-in plate that filters out 100% of the UV and the settings (ie:9-12) sets the amount of darkness that the lens provides. I guess I will tell you how I know...On my Miller Digital Elite I bought about 8 years ago (still works great), I forgot to turn it on one day and I could see so clearly I was smiling from ear to ear thinking "this is great". Then I realized it was off and thought "oh crap, my eyes" and researched it. 8-)
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

electrode wrote:Just wanted to add some important useful info. ;) The modern welding hoods have a built-in plate that filters out 100% of the UV and the settings (ie:9-12) sets the amount of darkness that the lens provides. I guess I will tell you how I know...On my Miller Digital Elite I bought about 8 years ago (still works great), I forgot to turn it on one day and I could see so clearly I was smiling from ear to ear thinking "this is great". Then I realized it was off and thought "oh crap, my eyes" and researched it. 8-)
+1 on this.

Pretty much the full spectrum of UV radiation is generated by a welding arc. The most damaging of these are the short-wave UV (referred to as "UVB" ) and these are the same wavelengths that cause sunburns, though much more intense from welding. UV in this range is completely blocked by common glass (that is why you can't get a tan from sunlight through a window) and most clear plastics, such as those used to make welding lenses. So even if the lens does not darken, you are protected from the UV. That said, your eyes can be harmed just from staring at a bright light, though it usually gets uncomfortable long before you do any damage. There are likely long term effects if you do this for many short periods over a long enough time.
marklackley

Motox thanks for that link and I appreciate everyone's responses. Very helpful.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Your best bet is the optrel e684. As others have said, the safety part is taken care of by the lens, all you have to worry about is the brightness so you don't strain your eyes and see spots after you finish welding. The e684 lets you tweak this very nicely. No helmet will every "know" how your eyes react because everyone's eyes are just a little bit different.