General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Johna9b
    Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:31 am

Hi gang, I'm an inexperienced welder and need to repair a boat trailer. I damaged one of the large square tubing part of the frame at the rear end where the vertical posts mount (used to help direct the boat back onto the trailer)...I hooked a vertical post on a bench and bent the end of the square tubing. I am reasonably good with gas and TIG welding and am wondering how to go about repairing the wrinkled square tubing end of the frame...??? John
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Pics will help us give you the right advice

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Strip the galvanizing off with a coarse flap disk, then strip it again with a new disc to be sure it's gone. Look for a slight color change from silver (zinc) to pewter (steel). Strip at least 2" away from where you intend to weld.

When welding, keep a fan blowing away from you on the other side of the work - so you, work, fan --->.

Have some cold milk handy. If you start to get a headache or nauseous drink it. You'll be right as rain in 5 min.
    Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Or if welding where you cant clean, wear a Charcoal filtered respirator. Mine runs behind my back for hood clearance and fresh(er) air. Also wear protective clothing in hard to reach areas. Shit turns crazy blue and burns a bit violent.

Years ago I had to weld Galvanneal and we didn't clean it. It was inside cabinets and there wasn't fresh air...or room to avoid fireworks. lol. No one had to remind me wear a long shirt and respirator. Temperatures in those cabinets musta been 140 degrees.
WILE E
    Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 am

if u can without damaging anything wear good respirator and use cutting torch or rose bud and burn it off in the area of repair then when done with repairs just get a spray galv not nearly as good with what is on there but better then nothing