General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

electrode wrote:[ Just curious as it does seem like it could come in handy for rough castings of aluminum.
Castings are only as rough as the sloppiness of the operator.
This one was done in 125 grit sand

3D printed patterns need to have the surface smoothed out. Most are using hi-build auto body primer/surfacers
then a quick coat of something smooth and shiny.
Otherwise, it wont come out of the sand mold well.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:shock: That's beautiful! Someone has been doing their homework. I hope to rise to that level one day.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Jim FLinchbaugh wrote:
electrode wrote:[ Just curious as it does seem like it could come in handy for rough castings of aluminum.
Castings are only as rough as the sloppiness of the operator.
This one was done in 125 grit sand

3D printed patterns need to have the surface smoothed out. Most are using hi-build auto body primer/surfacers
then a quick coat of something smooth and shiny.
Otherwise, it wont come out of the sand mold well.
Excellent work there. I watched the whole process years ago on how to make the molds etc and it looks like a lot of fun. I also play around with some 3D stuff and have the software (or some that will make the files to print), and some skill, just never bought a 3D printer. I know the #D printers are really slow so that is one reason I have avoided them. What brand/model printer do you have and do you have any recommendations on the purchase of one??
Thanks ;)
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Nice looking casting well done! Did you build the 3d model with a draft on the edges? I have also heard of smoothing the printed object with acetone vapour I've never tryed it though. The main thing with 3d printing is how big of a build area you have to work with alot of the times wood is easyer.
Jim FLinchbaugh

I do not have a 3D printer.
I make all my patterns old school- ie wood

and yes, there has to be draft or you will break the mold extracting the pattern

exnailpounder

20170212_102444.jpg
20170212_102444.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
First heat today, melted down some scrap into muffins. Worked great until the wind kicked up really bad and played hell with the draft on my burner but all in all I learned a few things, I didn't have to be rushed to the emergency room and I didn't burn down my shop. Success. Now to learn how to make patterns and cast.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

You gonna be in a world of shit when she goes looking for those muffin tins :o

No muffins for you....

Good to see its firing up well :)
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
exnailpounder

Rupes wrote:You gonna be in a world of shit when she goes looking for those muffin tins :o

No muffins for you....

Good to see its firing up well :)
:lol: I went and bought a couple. I was eyeballing hers but thought better of it, plus they were aluminum...that would have been bad. I'm pretty happy with it. The guy I made it for is fabbing the prototype part he wants made and then the hard part will be learning how to make the mold and cast. Looking forward to it.
exnailpounder

20170305_113723.jpg
20170305_113723.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
20170305_140044.jpg
20170305_140044.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Fresh out of the mold and then cleaned up to go to machining. This is a custom pool table corner. I supplied the rough core and now my friend is going to machine it down to the final rendering to make it a bit easier to cast and easy to clean up on the mill. For my first casting, I am pretty proud of it. It's not as easy as it looks.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks pretty good
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Jim FLinchbaugh

excellent results for try number 1!
exnailpounder

Jim FLinchbaugh wrote:excellent results for try number 1!
I watched hours of YT videos, read all I could find about casting. Without that help, it may have been another story but I am quite pleased with the results. I spent about 4 hours last night just practicing setting up molds. I am actually getting pretty good at it. I played with the moisture content of my sand a little and tweaked my flask a bit and I am itching to burn again soon. I can see this becoming very addictive. Thanks for the compliment!
exnailpounder

20170310_100959.jpg
20170310_100959.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
20170310_113852.jpg
20170310_113852.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
My second shot at it. I'm pretty happy with it but I need facing sand for a cleaner finish. Second pic is cleaned up next to the pattern.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Well done Jeff. That K looks super.

Did you cast more than one of the first part?
Making extra pieces to cut and check for porosity can avoid unpleasant surprises when machining.
Im not a pattern maker but for such thick part the gating looks a bit small. Or did you cut some of it away?
exnailpounder

AndersK wrote:Well done Jeff. That K looks super.

Did you cast more than one of the first part?
Making extra pieces to cut and check for porosity can avoid unpleasant surprises when machining.
Im not a pattern maker but for such thick part the gating looks a bit small. Or did you cut some of it away?
Hey Anders...thanks! The first part is an obsolete pool table corner that my friend wants to bring back to life and use on his custom tables. In the form it was in, it wasn't partable so I had to modify it with oil based clay to be able to cast it. After it was cast, he took it and it machining it down to make it easy for me to cast and easy for him to clean them up on his mill so we will see if there is any porosity when he works on it. The gating looks small because my flask was almost too small for the part so I had to make do but it came out good with absolutely no shrinkage.My goal is, when I get the part back from him, to cast several copies in resin so I can cast multiples at a time. All the shrinkage was in the sprue like it was supposed to be. As you know I am just getting started at this and there is much to learn and I was itching to cast again so I made up that K for my wife. It was old diamond plate from a trailer I scrapped. It came out with very sharp edges and very few holes and the finish is ok but I know I can do better. About 20 minutes with the angle grinder and it cleaned up nice. If you have any tips for me, I am all ears at this point. I really only got into this because I want to cast those table corners...you wouldn't believe what he can get for a set of 6 of them...haven't been made in 40 years...until now 8-)
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

That is very cool and a great expansion of your capability.

Hats off to you!
exnailpounder

PeteM wrote:That is very cool and a great expansion of your capability.

Hats off to you!
Thank you sir! :D
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I have no hands on experience from the pouring but have been involved in a lot of casting development the past 20 years. Visited a foundry last week that just did the first samples of my latest project. The risers and ingot had almost the same volume as the actual parts.

The trick is to control the solidification so the gating remains liquid after the part solidifies. Lots of trial and error even for the pro's still.
Not unusual to have perfect outer shape (solidifies first normally) but inside can be like a Swiss cheese if gating is to small. Might not be critical with some porosity but the ones I work with must be pressure tight.

If you plan to powder coat you have to reduce porosity under the surface otherwise you can get blisters when part is heated.
exnailpounder

AndersK wrote:I have no hands on experience from the pouring but have been involved in a lot of casting development the past 20 years. Visited a foundry last week that just did the first samples of my latest project. The risers and ingot had almost the same volume as the actual parts.

The trick is to control the solidification so the gating remains liquid after the part solidifies. Lots of trial and error even for the pro's still.
Not unusual to have perfect outer shape (solidifies first normally) but inside can be like a Swiss cheese if gating is to small. Might not be critical with some porosity but the ones I work with must be pressure tight.

If you plan to powder coat you have to reduce porosity under the surface otherwise you can get blisters when part is heated.
I used to build and line casting furnaces(BIG ONES) with a good friend of mine and his brother so I have a few brains to pick but that was all in the die-casting industry but have no prior knowledge of sand casting so I am navigating uncharted waters on my own right now but I also have alot of molding and resin casting experience making cast animal antlers for a very well known outdoor sports company in this country so I am trying to merge my experiences and draw on my knowledge and so far it is working out. Like I said, I got into this because my friend builds very expensive custom pool tables and he wants these vintage corners for his tables and they wanted 100K to make him a die and warned him of patent infringement so he scaled down and asked me to build a furnace, paid me well for my time and is paying me to learn how to cast so I can't lose on this one ;) I probably will venture into casting obsolete parts for steam engines and threshing machines but I want to learn the craft before biting off more than I can chew. I have scoured the web for info and kind of actually feel like I know what I'm doing but I am sure there will be a bad outcome or two but that's to be expected. I'm also making sure I keep my cast ingots separate from extruded and plate and scrap angle and such and I am going to learn how to blend metals foir the best casting product but for now this is just fun that will hopefully lead to a more serious endeavour. By all means Anders, if you have any knowledge I could use please feel free to correct me or guide me...Thanks...Jeff
Jim FLinchbaugh

your 2nd attempt with the "K" looks great as well.
You're off to a good start!
Have you visited that forum I linked yet? Many guys who have been a this for a while are not'
making castings that look as good as your first 2.
I assume you found "myfordboys" Youtube channel?
Excellent quality videos, shows his mistakes, and never speaks a word.
Pure joy to watch.
If you want really GOOD technical info to watch, search out "Sandrammer" on Youtube.
20 some years casting for the US Navy. Very bland delivery & painful to watch but if you have fortitude
the guy is full of quality info>
Also, find a copy of the US Navy's casting manual. I found it on Ebay. GOOD info
My latest project, for sizing cast lead bullets
Finished it Monday, orders 7 of them already :mrgreen:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder, cast a third "K" and add it to the picture, and you're sure to make new friends in the Chicago area...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:exnailpounder, cast a third "K" and add it to the picture, and you're sure to make new friends in the Chicago area...

Steve S
That concealed carry may come in handy if he does that :lol:

The south must be rubbing into you or something.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:exnailpounder, cast a third "K" and add it to the picture, and you're sure to make new friends in the Chicago area...

Steve S

I'm no racist, nor a "south's gonna rise again" type, but I've sure got a case of the red-ass from these revisionist historians working to get Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans. You don't have to celebrate it. You can throw eggs at it for all I care, but it's a real part of our history, and it's part of the City's history, so leave it be and find some business of your own to mind, damn it! The liberals behind this don't get the comparison with the Taliban and Isis destroying Buddhist monuments and shrines.

Steve S
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:

Steve S

I'm no racist, nor a "south's gonna rise again" type, but I've sure got a case of the red-ass from these revisionist historians working to get Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans. You don't have to celebrate it. You can throw eggs at it for all I care, but it's a real part of our history, and it's part of the City's history, so leave it be and find some business of your own to mind, damn it! The liberals behind this don't get the comparison with the Taliban and Isis destroying Buddhist monuments and shrines.

Steve S
+ 1. Great analogy !
exnailpounder

Steve S
Our meetings are in Gary Indiana...of all places