It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm Advanced search

Beer Keg Casting Furnace

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby exnailpounder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:40 pm

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
20170206_112809.jpg
20170206_110547.jpg


Got her cured and made a makeshift crucible and cast this little ingot this morning. She gets plenty hot.


Cool. Well, maybe HOT! What did you make the crucible out of? And what is the heat source fuel for this? Just curious as it does seem like it could come in handy for rough castings of aluminum. How much do you have in this build?
Thanks :)

Fuel is propane with air assist. The crucible is just a 4 inch stainless casing cap....just temporary... just wanted to see it melt something..lol. The refractory cost me about $80, the keg, $25, the burner maybe $25. I pick up used regs at flea markets and garage sales and I am a hoarder of everything so I had almost everything laying around to build this. My friend retired from well drilling last year so he brought me a truck load of SS well casing to make shrouds out of. Being a pack rat pays off sometimes. This was a fun project.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby electrode » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:53 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
20170206_112809.jpg
20170206_110547.jpg


Got her cured and made a makeshift crucible and cast this little ingot this morning. She gets plenty hot.


Cool. Well, maybe HOT! What did you make the crucible out of? And what is the heat source fuel for this? Just curious as it does seem like it could come in handy for rough castings of aluminum. How much do you have in this build?
Thanks :)

Fuel is propane with air assist. The crucible is just a 4 inch stainless casing cap....just temporary... just wanted to see it melt something..lol. The refractory cost me about $80, the keg, $25, the burner maybe $25. I pick up used regs at flea markets and garage sales and I am a hoarder of everything so I had almost everything laying around to build this. My friend retired from well drilling last year so he brought me a truck load of SS well casing to make shrouds out of. Being a pack rat pays off sometimes. This was a fun project.


I too am a hoarder somewhat. Works for me. :) Looks like a great deal for melting aluminum etc as far as money spent. I will probably add this to my project list but my list has a lot of projects in front of it atm. :lol: Thanks for the info.
electrode
Ace
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby kiwi2wheels » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 pm

exnailpounder wrote:.......... shrouds out of. Being a pack rat pays off sometimes. This was a fun project.


Truer words were never spoken ! :D
kiwi2wheels
Ace
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:47 pm

We need to start a thread. Cheap/ free stuff that we have hoarded. If you want some come pick it up. With pics.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby exnailpounder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Poland308 wrote:We need to start a thread. Cheap/ free stuff that we have hoarded. If you want some come pick it up. With pics.

I agonize over getting rid of something or throwing it out to clean up my shop but it never fails that when I get rid of something, a project will show up that requires exactly what I just threw out. How the Hell does that happen? :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Every time
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby electrode » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Poland308 wrote:Every time


+1
I threw out a piece of 1/8" plexiglass some months ago as it was a leftover scrap (at least I think I did cause I sure couldn't find it) and a few days ago I needed a piece to fix an oiler for one of my machines. The sight glass (plastic) was found to be cracked when I was rebuilding the pump. The piece was 3/8" x about 1.5" inches long. I had to by a $5 piece to cut that little bit out of. Arrgghh! :x
electrode
Ace
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I just bought 130$ in gasket material. 3 ft x3ft to cut out 3 - 3 inch round gaskets. Someone threw out the last 2 ft of a 48 inch roll we had.

Edit. Not to mention the three days of down time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby exnailpounder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:13 pm

electrode wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Every time


+1
I threw out a piece of 1/8" plexiglass some months ago as it was a leftover scrap (at least I think I did cause I sure couldn't find it) and a few days ago I needed a piece to fix an oiler for one of my machines. The sight glass (plastic) was found to be cracked when I was rebuilding the pump. The piece was 3/8" x about 1.5" inches long. I had to by a $5 piece to cut that little bit out of. Arrgghh! :x

Hoarding can be bad if it's like 30 house cats and 3 litter boxes with 6 months of shit in em and pizza boxes with hair growing on em and a path from room to room, but shop stuff is ok right?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Beer Keg Casting Furnace

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Yup :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

PreviousNext

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk