General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So my tech school has officially changed their welding program to a come when you can and if you can take the test on the first day you are there then you get that credit and move on and can do any class at any time. Now going to high school and college this poses its own problem since o can only take a certain number of credits or I have to start paying. Now the question is do I do all of the Mig classes at once or do I do one mig, one tig, one stick, and one flux core class the first semester. What is better for me to learn. Would taking a variety benefit me or just confuse the hell out of me. I have done a decent amount of all the processes to a point. So the basics should be no problem.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

My 2 cts. You aren't going to make any money from mig welding. Tig and stick pay better so I would concentrate on those 2. You can learn to mig in a half hour. I think that learning the properties of metals is just as important as learning to weld so I would stick with the more technical process'. Jody has a video about prepping for a welding career.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
j_0
  • j_0
    Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 pm

exnailpounder wrote:My 2 cts. You aren't going to make any money from mig welding. Tig and stick pay better so I would concentrate on those 2. You can learn to mig in a half hour. I think that learning the properties of metals is just as important as learning to weld so I would stick with the more technical process'. Jody has a video about prepping for a welding career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

exnailpounder wrote:My 2 cts. You aren't going to make any money from mig welding. Tig and stick pay better so I would concentrate on those 2. You can learn to mig in a half hour. I think that learning the properties of metals is just as important as learning to weld so I would stick with the more technical process'. Jody has a video about prepping for a welding career.

i will agree with that one.. i was able to get good with MIG in about 12 hours of time.. but stick yeah maybe 10X that hour amount.. hardest thing ive found with MIG is getting the settings right when the door chart is way the hell off...
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Learn TIG and Stick to where you'r good and you can figure out the MIG in a couple of hours.

TIG is the hardest in my opinion but it gives you the most options and the most flexibility. Stick is really good for the more hardcore strength demanding jobs like the construction machines but it also comes in handy for outside or field work. TIG is really good for general fabrication, its pretty much all I do these days, either stainless or aluminum work.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Upon review and the fact the paperwork was already turned in I decided to go with one of each class. I have to take all of the classes anyways to get the technical diploma so o figured this way I have an actual excuse to mess around with more tig and stick then if I just to mig because for some reason they may have gotten mad. Doubtful that they would since I know three out of the four instructors and all they care is whether or not I can weld.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick