General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Thanks exnail! That makes a hell of a lot more sense . For some reason it did not click that it was a trigger guard to prevent you from hitting the trigger when you hit a table or your thigh. Now the better question. How did you build it? Material and how it is fastened mostly.
Jody advocates putting your trigger on top of the gun and pressing it with your thumb. Never tried it.
But the problem is I don't have my own personal welder so the one at my school is the only option and I don't think my teacher would appreciate flipping the mig gun around. Although I am basically going to teach welding in one of his classes so it wouldn't be too bad and he'd get over it because at this point I kind of took control of the welding part of the shop.
Lay one gloved hand flat on the table to prop your torch hand on and slide it along. My buddy brought his pet orangutang over for welding lessons and thats what I taught him. He's a foreman now.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:He's no longer allowed to own guns. He Fel-on hard times...
It happens. I wanted to strangle my oldest son at one point but lately he has pulled his head out of his ass and is doing better. At his age I was running a million dollar piece of equipment and owned a home and had his ass born and wiped his shitty ass. Why does it take so long for boys to become men these days?
Try growing up with them. It is so difficult to watch them go by without thinking about what goes into their daily life and all of the work. When I have to sit there and watch them manipulate teachers and take 10 retakes on a test and sit on their phones and cheat on tests. And I can't blame them all themselves. Many teachers today don't challenege students. Repeated lessons is a big problem. We were supposed to read the Scarlett letter for English and like less than 1/4 of them read it and I didn't myself because I'm sorry but to me old English literature like that is useless especially with the curriculum that supplements it. I read all of five pages and got A's on the test. Nobody focuses on skills to get a job. It is encouraged that everyone goes out and get a big college degree. This is why we are somewhat dying breed. No one is encouraged to get a manufacturing job. Just my two cents. But what do I know about education as a student.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:He's no longer allowed to own guns. He Fel-on hard times...
It happens. I wanted to strangle my oldest son at one point but lately he has pulled his head out of his ass and is doing better. At his age I was running a million dollar piece of equipment and owned a home and had his ass born and wiped his shitty ass. Why does it take so long for boys to become men these days?
Try growing up with them. It is so difficult to watch them go by without thinking about what goes into their daily life and all of the work. When I have to sit there and watch them manipulate teachers and take 10 retakes on a test and sit on their phones and cheat on tests. And I can't blame them all themselves. Many teachers today don't challenege students. Repeated lessons is a big problem. We were supposed to read the Scarlett letter for English and like less than 1/4 of them read it and I didn't myself because I'm sorry but to me old English literature like that is useless especially with the curriculum that supplements it. I read all of five pages and got A's on the test. Nobody focuses on skills to get a job. It is encouraged that everyone goes out and get a big college degree. This is why we are somewhat dying breed. No one is encouraged to get a manufacturing job. Just my two cents. But what do I know about education as a student.
You don't really get educated at school, you are potty training for life and in todays world it seems the teachers are lazier than the students because heck...they have a good job so why should they care about any else's education right? My step-son is a complete fuck up and WANTED to drop out of school so they put him in a class where they play on the computer from 10 to 2 (the lazy shit misses the bus almost every day) and will get a regular diploma. In my day you had more school if you fell behind...not less but thats the world we live in. Pride is gone. Seems the only thing kids strive for today is having mommy get them the latest smart phone to play with. On the bright side, the lack of motivation for most opens up alot of doors for kids that have a goal. My sons best friend wanted to be an Apache helicopter pilot. He mapped out a plan and is now a Major, in charge of a unit and is flying an Apache right now in Afghanistan. He told me he walked right in the door because there was no one else in line. You will be what you want to be,
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

A general wisdom states, that our children are magnified copies of ourselves, just in HD quality.

My father brought up 6 children, 3 of them already have university degrees, oldest bro has PhD and landed himself from Eastern Europe to Seattle, 2 still studying(including me -welder who pays for his studies from welds and studies part time, second bro is studying Structural engineering with me, in the same course, he already has Architects degree), youngest sis is on last year in her paramedic studies, most of their ambulance patrol clients are vagabonds who just want to get washed and fed at hospital. Youngest bro is still in highschool, carries a smartphone around, but is smart enough to continue studies and get degree also, I hope.

All this looks like talking really big, but the fantastic part is that only income all this time while we were brought up was father`s 1000 USD salary. We always ate better than our neighbors, comparing to what I saw at my friends` houses. (no cigs, no alcohol, no drugs) and of course rare pocket money.

Extract of it all, if you are not raised with christian morale in family like we were, give your kids tools that are available to you(your skills,trade,education, even technical degree), its about the same story as with Jody`s 200 bucks starter kit, give a MMA welder & skill to operate it and youre already on Omaha beach, ready to storm Normandy.