General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Had to do the nasty today and mig up a big bracket and I had some sparks get under my lid...I bet I taste like pork. :lol: I'll have to ask my wife ;)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I was teaching a a fellow student how to weld with self shielded flux core today. I told them the basics, gun angle, CTWD, and then ran a couple beads to watch the arc and the pattern(they were pretty decent to,surprising how much you get with 130 amps) I go back to running some stick for practice and all of a sudden he stops. Sure enough welded the contact tip and bird nested about 7 ft of wire. Got that done and I decided to watch him. Now before I showed him I made sure he had mig welded before and he said yes and he was pretty good. I took his word for it, but when he started the arc I couldnt believe my eyes. He started at point A for about .1 seconds them whipped the gun over to point D 2 inches away and went back to point B and all the while not even hitting the top plate in his lap joint. I guess the world takes all sorts of people to run. Just hope Im never following his trailer sometime soon. :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

I had a guy bring his farm tractor over so I could weld a hook on the back of the bucket. I clean off a spot, turn the fire up on the 252 and weld his hook on. He asks me how long it needs to "set up"and how long it would be before he could use it. :lol: I had to pause for a second to figure out if he was messing with me. I proceeded to tell him he could use it now and he said he always heard that a weld had to "set up" for awhile. He was a truck driver for IDOT for 30 years...that sorta explains it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

exnailpounder wrote: he said he always heard that a weld had to "set up" for awhile. He was a truck driver for IDOT for 30 years...that sorta explains it.
:D :lol:
Damn! I'm going to use that one.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

exnailpounder wrote:He asks me how long it needs to "set up"and how long it would be before he could use it. :lol: I had to pause for a second to figure out if he was messing with me. I proceeded to tell him he could use it now and he said he always heard that a weld had to "set up" for awhile. He was a truck driver for IDOT for 30 years...that sorta explains it.
maybe he was think 'in bout ye old JB weld(er)
Richard
Website
Farmwelding

...you take an extra straw at a restraunt and practice feeding filler wire.

Thanks for correcting the bad English. Stupid autocorrect these days. Makes me dumber I swear.
Last edited by Farmwelding on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
FoxZulu
    Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

You're the only one allowed on site in a vehicle - 'Cos you're in a pick-up with a genny on the back :D
FoxZulu

Farmwelding wrote:...you take an extra straw at a restraint and practice feeing filler wire.
Hey Farm, best not go to 'restraints' then :D
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

FoxZulu wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:...you take an extra straw at a restraint and practice feeing filler wire.
Hey Farm, best not go to 'restraints' then :D
I think the thought just "pooped" into his head. :lol: I wonder what the "fee" was on the straw posing as filler wire. :o

Reference to the last post on this page for those that missed it:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 1045&hilit

p.s. Just having a little fun on a Friday. Farmwelding. ;) And you called me "electorde too. :shock:
electrode

Farmwelding wrote:...you take an extra straw at a restraunt and practice feeding filler wire.

Thanks for correcting the bad English. Stupid autocorrect these days. Makes me dumber I swear.
You missed one. :lol: "restaurant". ;)

What part of Wisconsin are you from? I grew up in Wisconsin. :)
FoxZulu

Maybe the boy has taken his first drink :o
Farmwelding

Nope stay away from the alcoholic beverages. And as to where I'm from, that would be Beloit area. We are also referred to as Betroit. We are probably more ghetto than the south side of Chicago. Luckily I don't live in the city and am of the more rural area.
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:Nope stay away from the alcoholic beverages. And as to where I'm from, that would be Beloit area. We are also referred to as Betroit. We are probably more ghetto than the south side of Chicago. Luckily I don't live in the city and am of the more rural area.
Obviously you haven't been to the south side of Shitcago
Farmwelding

Well Jeff, you may be somewhat accurate but we have proportionately the same number of gangs, murders, and crappy housing. That's why I go to Minnesota over the summer. Western Minnesota is open and full of work.
Nick
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

...you know you are, if not, you are not.
electrode

Farmwelding wrote:Nope stay away from the alcoholic beverages. And as to where I'm from, that would be Beloit area. We are also referred to as Betroit. We are probably more ghetto than the south side of Chicago. Luckily I don't live in the city and am of the more rural area.
I was born and raised in the Milwaukee suburbs. I miss snowmobiling and ice fishing. I also own property in Minnesota. :D
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

You persist welding in 38 deg C 90% humidity heat dispite sweat pouring into your glasses and inside surface of your view screen totally blinding you. You eventually give up after grinding and attempting to redo welds you stuffed up with the same crappy results due to enviromental blindness. You go back into the aircon, crack a cold beer and sulk while dreaming of an air conditioned welding shop...............

You guys really excel at subject drift.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Farmwelding

You guys really excel at subject drift.[/quote]
Hey we have to be decent at something other than welding. Otherwise our buddies would get bored of we couldn't get off the subject of welding.
Nick
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

a significant amount of talk at work centers around food. At least every shop I have been in.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

.... when you put "run flat" tyres on your welding cart
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
exnailpounder

Rupes wrote:.... when you put "run flat" tyres on your welding cart
I had a tire on my plasma cart start on fire when I was blowing a hole on a piece of plate. The meteor bounced off the concrete floor and lodged under the tire. Now she limps across the shop on the flat spot :lol:
Farmwelding

Only experience with flat tires on a craft is a heavy duty pressure washer we built a "custom chassis" for to steer better. First day I used it it was outside for three hours washing a combine and when I went to move it the solid rubber tires and melted or something and made four beautiful flat spots. Now she wobbles along nicely. Tip-don't leave rubber in the sun to long with a lot of weight on it.
Nick
FoxZulu

You wear your burn scars as badges of honour 8-)
meyer1son
    Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 am

You nod before putting gas in your car!