General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Have you worked as a welder in the past? Does it matter if you are / were a "trained professional" ?

This is just one of the many reasons I dislike insurance companies, they have so many little loopholes and special clauses to get themselves out of any responsibility.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I don't know any thing about the rules in other areas but here in Ontario Canada there are plenty of garage handymen and fixer-uppers that quietly go about their business part time. My opinion is common sense should prevail. If you are offered a job that you are not totally confident that you abilities and equipment can handle safely -graciously turn it down. Know your limits at the time and listen to your gut. Liability is a big issue that you have to weigh. Example- a local bubble gummer with I'am sure a 120 V rig welded a hub on a guys trailer- he made it about 3 mi. before it fell off!! Lucky there was no injury or accident. :roll:
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Common sense suggestions thanks. I have been TIG welding for mostly food industry purged food contact 3a std for 35 years. I am confident of my ability, among 12 skilled mechanics at my job, I was given most of the work that required good quality due to my skill level. I do not do stick arc anywhere indoors for the obvious reasons. I am not a certified welder by any means, but respect the process and those who have achieved this for the purpose of critical life dependent welding. I won't do automotive suspension members, trailers etc. Have been set up in my own garage for 13 months now and no close calls.

In relation to this subject has anyone actually shopped for insurance companies that embrace the hobby welder, machinist, wood worker hobby crowds? Now when I watch Youtube videos and it is some guy building a rail buggy in his attached garage I ask myself wow wonder if he knows what he is risking. Does his agent watch these videos. Do you think I could even get a insurance policy that wouldn't tell me to piss off in event of a loss cause I own a welder.? Or am I dreaming? I wonder if I were to bring my welder into house between jobs JIC I have a loss not related to welding at all, and they see my cart (empty) and argon bottle gauges, etc. would they try and use that as a reason to assume I was welding even if not welded in days. So many scenarios to consider. Then would I be risking a loss if my house burns down and I am storing my welder in the house? I could see them saying such a thing, "you must have been welding in your dining room". Then if I was rich I would just go with an LLC separate all assets, and get my business insurance and then go into deep debt LOL. Or build another garage for business. Not for this guy.

bruce991 wrote: . . . In relation to this subject has anyone actually shopped for insurance companies that embrace the hobby welder, machinist, wood worker hobby crowds? . . .
Here in Texas, one of the more popular insurance companies amongst us rural folk, is Texas Farm Bureau. In addition to my home and truck insurance, they gladly wrote me a policy for the full replacement cost of my Miller Bobcat 225, including the trailer it's on. Regardless of what happens to it. I'm looking to buy another place and build a shop on it, so we'll see if their exemplary attitude continues. I figure it will. Don't know if you have a Michigan Farm Bureau, but if you do it might be worth talking to them.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Bruce,
I'm a home hobby welder albeit in another country.
The only fires I have had has been caused by flux core mig and my own slackness/stupidity in not clearing a suitable area before I started. I now have a new process and about 4 fire extinguishers in my shed.
Vehicles get moved out of my shed when welding and I remove flammable stuff well away from where I'm welding.
I've never heard of a fire with tig. Someone must show me how they manage that with more than 2 functioning brain cells, not sitting in a puddle of gasoline.
Stick and mig are a bit more problematic.
You obviously have the experience to weld safely and within your capabilities, so carry on.
If the insurance company don't ask, don't tell.

"If the hairs on your arse smell like smouldering grass you're on fire."
Sung to the tune of "amore" .......... :D

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I was mig welding today and lit one of my polishing wheels on fire. That wax really burns good :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
bruce991

We do have farm bureau will research. And as stated starting a fire with TIG would take effort.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use the Farm Bureau here in Iowa. My agent has been good to work with. There ok with my welders but they are balking at my wood burner just a bit. They want pics to make sure it's not up tight to a wood wall. Who would do that?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

A few years ago I had a homebuilt wood stove inspected in the shop and passed. The inspector was the local fire department safety inspector also and he told me some of the ridiculous things people do with wood burners up to the equivalent of putting heavy curtains over top. I guess I can understand why the rules-probably saved a few lives. :P
bruce991

Oh man my insurance company would not accept a wood stove in a garage, especially if vehicles are in the garage. I have a call out to Farm Bureau Insurance for a talk about my situation, and possible business licensing if that is not as costly as I was quoted by my current agent.