General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

this topic is what prompted me to register after lurking. I know this has surely been beat to death but I could not find it in a search.

I am currently using a arc one hawk that I have been using for probably 10 years now, I like it ok with cheaters and readers but it started flashing me about 3 months ago and it is getting worse so it is time to make a move. I am torn between the Viking 3350 and the Jackson wh70 bh3. from the vids I really like the wh70 and will spring for the extra but with no way to demo them it is a rough decision and I am hoping several here may have used both and were able to make a comparison from actual use. I have demoed some millers and the Carrera from the local airgas but the only one that tripped my trigger was the miller weld mask but every time I went to pull it off I would pull something off of the goggles, cant remember what it was right off but it was irritating to say the least.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I still have my Miller Digital Elite and a few cheapos from Harbor Freight for backup and when the wife wants to watch, but it seems I read a lot about getting the OPTREL brand. When my Miller bites the dust I think that is the direction I am heading although I really like my Miller. Others will chime in on specifics. That said, the Viking looks like a good choice too although I have no experience with it. It has 6-13 shade adjustment where the Jackson has 9-13. I know the feeling using a cheater lens and wearing reading glasses at the same time. I have some stronger cheaters but then I have to put on the readers when I pull the hood open so I found a happy medium. :D

added: The Miller Digital Elite is on sale at some places with a rebate for a good price and they also have the newer Infinity you might want to check out:
https://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helm ... ets-m30025

Check this (No mention of Optrel though)
http://www.weldingstars.com/review-of-t ... ers-guide/

I'm running a Miller Digital right now, but I had the chance to try out an Optrel VegaView 2.5 at Fabtech last year and was highly impressed. Good wide angle view with a true color display which gave an excellent view of the arc and puddle. I think that's gonna be my next helmet.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... ing-helmet

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

+1 on the Optrel. I have been trying other guys hoods at work. Lincoln, Miller, Arc One, Radnor (basically the spectrum from basic to premium) and they all have auto - darkening lenses. They have varying degrees of shading and colors, but none have the degree of optical clarity that the Optrel has. I plan on getting one as soon as I get the chance. It is only a few dollars more than the Miller Digital Infinity and is about 7ozs lighter to boot. The only drawback that I can find is that the front lens is not a standard and has to be ordered for that specific brand.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

thanks for the replies, that throws another one in. I picked up metal this morning and scanned what they had in stock and was going to hit them up for a demo but they had none of the three hoods. I have a buddy who has the 3350 and he is going to come visit and pick up some material and he said he would bring it with him for me to try out. I hope it is sooner than later because I don't want to buy twice.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
    Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:51 pm

I have the Lincoln 3350 4C hood. It is the best purchase I have made in a long time. I had trouble seeing the puddle and flux ridge due to cataracts, multiple images and stars. The 4c is like HD tv compared to black and white. My first thought was Wow I can see again. The view is large and a very comfortable and adjustable headgear make it a pleasure to use. This is just my opinion. Others may have a completely different opinion. Compared to my old Jackson next gen 3in1 the 3350 is light years ahead.

Roy

thanks Roy, he loves his and I hope I do to. the cost of these hoods is high enough that I am reluctant to gamble before I can try one.

thanks again.

creek
electrode

Granddaddy wrote:thanks Roy, he loves his and I hope I do to. the cost of these hoods is high enough that I am reluctant to gamble before I can try one.

thanks again.

creek
Well if you decide on that one...
http://www.bakersgas.com/LINK3034-3.html

Thanks Electrode, I'll keep that in mind.
electrode

Granddaddy wrote:Thanks Electrode, I'll keep that in mind.
You're welcome. I am not affiliated but thought that was a good price. :) And FREE shipping.