General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Dusty-Dave
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Does anybody have a suggestion for a home brew stop-off. Since I'm retired taking a little out of the bottle at work isnt an option anymore and I really don't want to pay a hundred a quart for something I'll only use occasionally. I have tried milk of magnesia and could get by with it but thought somebody might have a better solution.
Dusty
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Dusty-Dave wrote:Does anybody have a suggestion for a home brew stop-off. Since I'm retired taking a little out of the bottle at work isnt an option anymore and I really don't want to pay a hundred a quart for something I'll only use occasionally. I have tried milk of magnesia and could get by with it but thought somebody might have a better solution.
Dusty
"Stop-off".

Is this what we colloquially refer to as a "tinker's dam"? Something to dam up the flow of molten metal? A paste of casting sand (as for the lost-wax process) will serve the purpose.

Steve S
Tokoroa_Welder
    Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am

Liquid white-out works a treat to stop braze flowing where you don't want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dusty-Dave
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Well I need it for brazing and for some flame spray hardface I need to do. I'll give both a try.
Thanks
Dusty