General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I need some advice, I am up against it.

I have a project at work that is going to be a bear if it comes to elbow grease alone, I have about 600 lineal feet of steel gutter inside of a passage way that is badly rusted and all the rust has to be removed for repair and to be refinished. I know it sounds strange being a gutter but I cant use water to flush so I cant use anything that will continue to etch either. I cant close the space down so I cant use any fuming chemicals or any method that creates air born dust. I am stumped and I hope someone here has been in a similar fix and found a way to employ some power tools or " GREEN" chemicals.

many thanks.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Sounds interesting! I am wondering if somewhere in the process a Rust Converter product might feasible? I have used it occasionally on rusty areas hard to get at and clean -body seams etc. Prep is minimal. If you search it there are several formulations for different applications. Good luck. :?
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

homeboy wrote:Sounds interesting! I am wondering if somewhere in the process a Rust Converter product might feasible? I have used it occasionally on rusty areas hard to get at and clean -body seams etc. Prep is minimal. If you search it there are several formulations for different applications. Good luck. :?
http://www.por15.com/
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Some paint / finishing companies have special grinders hooked to big vac systems. I've seen them grind off epoxy paint and cement in food factories in areas that couldn't be contaminated or shut down. If there set up right they won't leave or spread any dust or fumes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

homeboy wrote:Sounds interesting! I am wondering if somewhere in the process a Rust Converter product might feasible? I have used it occasionally on rusty areas hard to get at and clean -body seams etc. Prep is minimal. If you search it there are several formulations for different applications. Good luck. :?
we suggested using a rust converter but we don't have a big enough window of time for the cure.
initially we were told we couldn't close the space down at all then it was we could shut it down for 12 hours now the lease holder is bucking that so it looks like we are back to not shutting down.

many thanks.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

KIWI, P308.

good info, I have already bought material but will keep that link Kiwi.

I think we will give the vac idea a try P308.

thanks to all.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Cool vid. Read down threw the comments and noticed it's only 600,000$.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well apart from the price I so want one - nearly everything I get to work on except boat handrails is rusty ! I wonder if they do free demos ? my truck bed could do with it - no wait - I don't think I'd have any truck bed left it's only the rust holding the filler together !