General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ryan.k.mcdaniel
    Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I have an old Lincoln SA200 that has the threads to the exhaust manifold worn out. I tried to re-thread the manifold but it wouldn't hold the pipe without leaking water into the manifold when it rained. A friend told me he used stainless 312 stick and it worked on his. Not on mine. Followed it up withoxy/acetylene brazeing the pipe to the manifold with fluxed bronze. It was on there but very weak. Another friend told me to use Nickel 99 rod. I tried it but the cast wouldn't Weld and it kinda blew a chunk out so I went back to the braze. It is ugly as hell but it is in place. I saw Jodi's video of tigging cast with bronze silicate and it being pretty strong with 2 passes, but I don't have another machine to use my hiliarc rig with so that this one isn't running and pulling the argon away from the Weld and vibrating the machine all up. I could ask another rig welder to come over to the house and run it off his, but is it even worth it? I'm trying to save the time and money and headache on replacing the manifold. What's the best course of action?
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Harris Blockade brazing rod.