General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:How do you get away woth not using every clamp you have Jeff. Seems like every time I need to use vise grips I'm always asking for another one. I also will argue till the day I die that you should never buy cheap knock offs unless you hit them with a torch and cut them vise grips will lest forever and if the crack which they will, you could always weld them up and they work just as well the day they came out of the box.
If you saw how many clamps I have you would understand. :shock: I have a bin under my welding table full of clamps and I have been known to plasma cut the pads in half and/or weld the clamp to the work and have to cut it off or several other ways to abuse clamps. I don't believe in buying junky tools either but some Harbor Freight stuff you can get away with like their clamps. VG clamps, $20+ a pair..HF $4...I also like to make specialized clamps for certain things and I don't mind sacrificing a $4 clamp for a one-off project.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have no less than 15 different kinds. And lots more styles that I've worn out and haven't replaced till I need them next time. I buy both the name brand and the cheap stuff. I think I probably use regular c clamps of various sizes and depths more than anything else.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Fair enough Jeff, need those specialty clamps for one or two little projects. You always have a feeling in the back of your head that it isn't a good idea to weld some plate on a $20 clamp.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have a number of vicegrips but the most used is my pair of "6ln". Had/have the same pair for 35-40 years, use 'em more than any 'plier' type I own. (ie vice grips-channel locks-pliers-etc)

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

cornmuse wrote:I have a number of vicegrips but the most used is my pair of "6ln". Had/have the same pair for 35-40 years, use 'em more than any 'plier' type I own. (ie vice grips-channel locks-pliers-etc)

-c-
Gonna pick up the one with a knife and screwdriver now. Not worth it to me. already carry the knife and a multi tool which has a screwdriver and if I wanted a multitool with a locking pliers I'd break down and buy the Leatherman crunch.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

These vise grips in the middle are for sheet metal as they are used in autobody.
Hot rods and burning matal by day