General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

What Vice Grip model do you use most in your welding ventures?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Depends on the day but either the 7CR-small and does a lot of different things. Also the 12" fish mouth are phenomenal and work for everything else well. I use the 7CR the most for two reasons-one General welding and fabrication because it it small and fits in my ouch and had pretty good reach for large objects and works on small objects as well. Secondly- I am a farm kid and on that farm and nearby farms 7-CR vise grips are the common solution for everything. Rounded bolt head, hold a fuel pump up when removing it from a tank, ripped of handle in a combine, some guys have broken off door handles and slapped on a grip as a new handle. I think their size and usability make it my favorite.
Last edited by Farmwelding on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I think the ones I use mostly are the P-11. Either a P or a R.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Any of you find a use for the 9R model?

PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Yes. I've built window frames for churches, and we would use those to hold the extrusions together when fitting up and tacking. Especially useful on the large round rosettes.
Farmwelding

Have used the model you have there but not a fan. Just know of a pain to me and too wide and badly placed for what I do.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

6R/11R/11SP

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

11 R and 7 R here
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I use Harbor Freights copies of Vice Grips. I went to a sale at an old bath fixture plant and bought a milk crate full of all different kinds of actual Vice Grips for $10 but they sit on a shelf unless I have something that needs lots of clamps. Im pretty rough on clamps so I would rather tear up my junky clamps. Not using my good clamps benefits me how? :? :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

How do you get away woth not using every clamp you have Jeff. Seems like every time I need to use vise grips I'm always asking for another one. I also will argue till the day I die that you should never buy cheap knock offs unless you hit them with a torch and cut them vise grips will lest forever and if the crack which they will, you could always weld them up and they work just as well the day they came out of the box.
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:How do you get away woth not using every clamp you have Jeff. Seems like every time I need to use vise grips I'm always asking for another one. I also will argue till the day I die that you should never buy cheap knock offs unless you hit them with a torch and cut them vise grips will lest forever and if the crack which they will, you could always weld them up and they work just as well the day they came out of the box.
If you saw how many clamps I have you would understand. :shock: I have a bin under my welding table full of clamps and I have been known to plasma cut the pads in half and/or weld the clamp to the work and have to cut it off or several other ways to abuse clamps. I don't believe in buying junky tools either but some Harbor Freight stuff you can get away with like their clamps. VG clamps, $20+ a pair..HF $4...I also like to make specialized clamps for certain things and I don't mind sacrificing a $4 clamp for a one-off project.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have no less than 15 different kinds. And lots more styles that I've worn out and haven't replaced till I need them next time. I buy both the name brand and the cheap stuff. I think I probably use regular c clamps of various sizes and depths more than anything else.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding

Fair enough Jeff, need those specialty clamps for one or two little projects. You always have a feeling in the back of your head that it isn't a good idea to weld some plate on a $20 clamp.
Nick
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have a number of vicegrips but the most used is my pair of "6ln". Had/have the same pair for 35-40 years, use 'em more than any 'plier' type I own. (ie vice grips-channel locks-pliers-etc)

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
Farmwelding

cornmuse wrote:I have a number of vicegrips but the most used is my pair of "6ln". Had/have the same pair for 35-40 years, use 'em more than any 'plier' type I own. (ie vice grips-channel locks-pliers-etc)

-c-
Gonna pick up the one with a knife and screwdriver now. Not worth it to me. already carry the knife and a multi tool which has a screwdriver and if I wanted a multitool with a locking pliers I'd break down and buy the Leatherman crunch.
Nick
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

These vise grips in the middle are for sheet metal as they are used in autobody.
Hot rods and burning matal by day