It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am Advanced search

Anyone here into anvils/forging?

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Anyone here into anvils/forging?

Postby Rupes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:59 am

Just had the freight guys drop off an anvil and 2 leg vices I bought from the middle of nowhere in South Australia.

I knew the anvil was a Peter Wright but no idea of the condition really other than how it was described over the phone. The last time the old fella that had it had taken a photo the camera had disposable flash bulbs, his words not mine lol.

Anyway got it here and it looks fantastic. Even better after a quick tidy up with the wire wheel.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Re: Anyone here into anvils/forging?

Postby exnailpounder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 am

That was a score! Looks like you're getting ready to have fun. Send pics 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Granddaddy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 am

well I may be getting into it.....
my wife said she wanted to try it so I bought her some tools, built a forge and bought a ton of coal, that's been over a year ago and I just fired it up and made a coal rake and a coal ladle yesterday would make a week ago.

I enjoyed it but a word of advice to folks considering it, if possible get bituminous coal if possible, I got anthracite and it is WAY WAY harder to start than bituminous coal.

happy forging / welding.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Granddaddy
Workhorse

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 am

Nice find. Every time I see a good one to buy they want gold bars in exchange. Pound for pound. :o
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby noddybrian » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 am

Coal ? - well I guess use what you can get at a push but it's coke that I & everyone I know use - if you do use coal be careful how much gas / bitumen etc comes off it - can make some impressive explosions if it builds up ( ask me how I know ! ) as to lighting - some folks do it old school but in truth a gas poker is way easier plus you don't contaminate the fire if you intend to fire weld - though I doubt you will have much luck doing that with coal - not that most of us do any - never worth it except for an exhibition piece - don't think I have since college days.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 am

Nice . I guess I got real lucky. I wasn't really thinking about a big anvil when a fellow I know asked me if I wanted one free! The deal was his father was a scrap hauler and picked up from a local foundry that one of their products were aprox.90lb anvils and defective ones were scraped. He scooped a couple and gave one to me. I have no idea why they didn't melt them down to reuse the metal or why they were defective as they look perfect to me. Maby there's more to the storey? It gets quite a bit of use and eliminates the temptation to hammer on the welding table which I refuse to do anyway. :D
homeboy
Guide

Postby homeboy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 am

I should clarify --I don't do any forging -just general banging stuff! :roll:
homeboy
Guide

Postby noddybrian » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 am

It's kinda a fine line between the two - I suffer with mates & their kids coming round wanting to make silly shape knives from TV programs out of leaf springs - is that forging or just welting 7bales out of a spring ? - & why do they take the zombie apocalypse so seriously ? really don't see a future with that many that I'll run out of 12gauge.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby Artie F. Emm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am

Score for you! That cleaned up real nice. I did some digging and found a post here:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/an ... il-156284/
...that says the 1-3-21 is the weight, and it translates to 1 x 110 lbs + 3 x 11 lbs + 21 lbs, for a total of 164 lbs.

Another post here https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/37404-peter-wright/ suggests it dates back to about 1910. Very cool that you get to own a piece of that kind of history.

I bought an anvil at an estate sale, but it doesn't have any markings on it that I can identify.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

http://www.anvilfire.com/index.htm

The website I've researched on several times
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger