General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I need to weld some brackets onto a set of chromed steel table legs for a friends project. Today I welded some bracing onto a chrome kitchen chair without grinding off any chrome and it went ok other than the material is very thin so had to be real gentle. The chair was for myself so not too concerned but with the table should I grind off the chrome or does it matter? The table legs don't appear much thicker than the chair. Does the chrome plating affect the adhesion or the weld itself. :?: :?
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

For that purpose you can leave the plating on. Fumes should be avoided though.

I had to weld a couple of kitchen chairs because of creaky noise some years ago. Still no issues with the welds.

Used 316 filler and polished after.
homeboy

Thanks for the reply. The reason for my concern is I found out the table top is an oak slab aprox 3in thick with 1in plywood on the bottom -heavy- guessing 100lbs+! The legs are just 2 post with 2 feet at an angle each way on each leg from a kitchen table!I am installing cross brackets and other reinforcing gussets but the legs are only .068 + - so not much meat. I am using .035 flux core very gently and it looks ok so far. I did mention to the builder the legs seem a bit light but he's ok with that. :roll:
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

homeboy wrote:Thanks for the reply. The reason for my concern is I found out the table top is an oak slab aprox 3in thick with 1in plywood on the bottom -heavy- guessing 100lbs+! The legs are just 2 post with 2 feet at an angle each way on each leg from a kitchen table!I am installing cross brackets and other reinforcing gussets but the legs are only .068 + - so not much meat. I am using .035 flux core very gently and it looks ok so far. I did mention to the builder the legs seem a bit light but he's ok with that. :roll:

I have welded over chrome plating plenty of times, never game me much of a problem but it won't look so chromy around the welds unless you polish them up.
if there's a welder, there's a way
homeboy

What I did was split a piece of pipe and tacked 1/2 on each leg where the supports fasten and that worked fine for more strength. Because the leg is so thin I think I might be wise to take it to the local shop to finish welding the pipe sections with mig. This table and 2 benches also with heavy wood slab seat and back are going in a large charity auction in the spring and that's why my concern. Thanks for the input. :D