General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Dito!
Mig or stick. Get a good solid weld. 3/16 is more than enough thickness for what your doing and thin enough that either stick or mig will get you full penetration.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

i will post this.. on top of what others have said..

if you do most all of your welding with MIG and do not do much stick welding.. MIG weld it..

If i was building something like that i would Stick weld it! why because i do more stick welding then MIG welding.. i can usaly run a few practice welds on scrap and get myself right where i need to be with stick but with MIG it takes me a good day to get the feel for it again.. i also know the settings faily well for my machine and know what it dose and dose not do well. and im sure you would feel the same about your MIG machine.. basically if you look at a stick welder and are not overly sure what amperage and rod you should be running with what your planning to do but have a prety good idea what your settings need to be on your MIG welder.. just MIG weld it.

how ever if stick welding interests you for future projects i would say start burning some rods and getting good at it.. as some have said sick welding has uses especially out door welding.. this is part of why they still stick weld on pipelines.. how ever flux core is another option how ever if you have not welded with it much i wouldn't use it.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Amazing, isn't it, how slow this forum seems at times, and then three or four responses pop up on top of each other.

If this were my personal project, I'd stick weld it, bevels and open roots, 6010 and 7018. However, I have a load of experience with this. In the OP's position, he has the right equipment to MIG weld it, and do it well. I would suggest beveling the arms where they meet the upright, and holding a gap, for full penetration, but there's no reason a sound MIG weld won't do this job safely, pending the operator's ability.

Steve S
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

As to the method of welding I am not proficient in the various methods described but with each connection having aprox. 3ft of weld any competant welder should be able able to glue this together. The weight itself is negligible but the issue is lateral loads "wind -vehicle strikes whatever" I totally agree with Noddybrian that the base and connection are critical. Cover your your butt -do any local building code regulations apply -signage-setbacks etc. I f so they may require engineered drawings and spec's . You can go for a tour and see how other similar free standing structures are anchored. In Ontario Canada we have a standard blanket building code but each municipality can have additional bylaws. When in construction I covered a lot of municipalities and it was a constant job to keep up with the rules. Good luck :ugeek:
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:First, good on ya for using your skills to make this for your church! I like the square tube turned 45* idea.

As to which process, either way you're going to want full penetration welds. It may turn out that the place you weld it in drives that decision: outside in the wind? Stick. Back at the shop in ideal conditions? MIG. But now may *not* be the time to experiment with a new process like dual shield: the final exam is not the time to learn the material.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you: learning, experimenting, figuring it out is the fun and compelling part of any project. I get it! But as they say over on WW, the last thing you want to do is injure any nuns/widows/orphans/puppies because the welds on your cross failed.

That said, and with safety and longevity in mind, I don't think you can over-think this. I did some checking, and found that 8" square tube in 3/16 wall is 19.63 pounds per foot. If the vertical is 12 feet and the "arms" are 6 feet, your cross could weigh as much as 350 pounds. Where and how will this be mounted?

The way you design it can affect the overall weight and the amount of stress your welds endure. For instance, you might start with a 12 ft. vertical and weld the "arm" members to each side. Gravity will be pulling on those welds forever and ever amen, and those stresses will increase every time the kids from the youth group climb up on your cross. (Count on that, btw!) On the other hand, you might start with a 8 foot 4 inch vertical, and lay a single 6 foot horizontal member on top of that. That way gravity is pressing the horizontal down onto the upright, and your welds are holding it together rather than keeping it from falling apart. Finish with a 3 foot "INRI" top part of the cross. (And cap the exposed ends to prevent internal rust and bird nesting.)

How's that for preaching to the welders?! Sorry if you knew all that already. Good luck with your project, post up some pics!

As for the arms I was already planning on making the vertical piece the part that is split and just laying the horizontal into the vertical pieces's notch. And I will be capping the ends. Gonna be painting it with POR15 topcoat as well to prevent rust even more!
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

noddybrian wrote:It worries me slightly the fact your asking this as it implies an experience level on the low side considering the weight & potential of injury should this thing fail in strong winds or such like - but despite some slightly off hand comments from our more jovial regulars if the church is happy for you to do this & they accept responsibility then lets try for some more helpful comments - Mig is fine if using sufficient power & a 275 on that material thickness is just fine - as to spray or short circuit that is very open ended as the wire thickness & gas mix has a great influence on the voltage this changes - if you can support the cross so all your welds are flat ( 1G ) then using spray is suitable - if you cannot & must weld to some degree in position especially when wrapping the corners then keep with short circuit - if you can get some similar scrap material to practice on maybe use the Miller welding website for baseline settings & just do some mock up joints & test them - if you can prep to allow a near full thickness V prep this is by far the best - if it's not possible then your question of Mig or Stick is valid as the next best option would likely be burn the hottest root pass you can with a cellulose rod as Mig is renowned for poor root penetration then grind back clean & fill with the Mig - do plenty of passes so there is adequate leg length to spread the load onto the limited wall thickness to reduce the chance of fatigue cracks - dual shield will work but is not generally used or recommended at this thickness - biggest question I'd have is not so much the cross part itself as how is this fixed down ? are you welding to a base plate or is it to be set in concrete in the ground - either way I think you need a signed waiver that you cannot be held responsible in the event of failure either now - next hurricane of 20 years time after no inspection / maintenance & the box rots off at the ground - these jobs while taken on with good intent can bite you - once a steel structure is in a public space / building it really needs to be drawn up by an engineer with - built to a spec & signed off by a qualified inspector due to our modern society - others may have different views & hopefully others will post with more direct advice on the pure welding aspects of your question - good luck however you proceed.

Ok read the original post again but with emphasis on CURIOUS. Lol. While this project does have structural critical aspects to it, the welds themselves are nothing crazy. I asked my questions because I am wanting to learn more of the in-depth metallurgical side of this. Tensile strengths, filler metals, etc... This is gonna sound somewhat arrogant, but I have more than enough experience and education for a project like this.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

And I guess I could have clarified a bit better on my original post... I have the stick and MIG experience to do either. And I have the equipment and machinery for welding and/or beveling if I decide to go that route. Along with the experience and education. My curiosity was more along the metallurgical side (for lack of a better way to describe it). I wanted to know more about tensile strengths, fillers, what kinds of what hold up better for stress flexing, weather, etc...
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

Oscar wrote:Why not complicate things even more? TIG the thing, but don't make it easy---use an exotic filler rod like Inconel or Hastelloy. You can never be too sure!! Oh, and make sure you get a good back-purge going. :lol:

I actually have thought of using this opportunity to practice my Walking The Cup! I think I'm going to TIG weld the end caps.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

thatoneguy wrote:
Oscar wrote:Why not complicate things even more? TIG the thing, but don't make it easy---use an exotic filler rod like Inconel or Hastelloy. You can never be too sure!! Oh, and make sure you get a good back-purge going. :lol:

I actually have thought of using this opportunity to practice my Walking The Cup! I think I'm going to TIG weld the end caps.
That's a good plan on the end caps. In bot a metallurgy expert or haven't had enough hood time and destructive time to make a solid opinion. Based on what I do know though, short circuit mig generally has less penetration and more issues like lack of fusion than most other processes. Sick provides good penetration along with spray transfer and flux core. But if you haven't run flux core don't do it in this.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
thatoneguy

Farmwelding wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:

That's a good plan on the end caps. In bot a metallurgy expert or haven't had enough hood time and destructive time to make a solid opinion. Based on what I do know though, short circuit mig generally has less penetration and more issues like lack of fusion than most other processes. Sick provides good penetration along with spray transfer and flux core. But if you haven't run flux core don't do it in this.

Ya that is true. But their are ways to make sure that MIG does penetrate... Such as staying on the leading edge of the puddle, welding uphill, etc... I have experience with spray arc and gasless flux core but not dual shield. I don't know I think it is just going to boil down to whatever I feel like doing at the time.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

thatoneguy wrote:This is gonna sound somewhat arrogant, but I have more than enough experience and education for a project like this.
No offense intended. Everyone here wants only to help, but without knowing your specific qualifications, responses were offered with a fair dose of "please be safe" info. We've all cringed at those "I just bought a welder to build my airplane" or "what rod do I use to build a trailer" posts.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

From a metallurgy standpoint, E70s-6 Mig wire or ER7018 stick (or ER7014, for that matter) will give you both sufficient strength and sufficient ductility to withstand wind stress and it's own weight.

From a design standpoint, notching and welding on the bias is the best choice you could have made for ultimate strength. This significantly increases the length of weld, and puts the weld in favorable positions for the loads it will see. It virtually eliminates sharp corners, thus eliminating stress risers. It also eliminates welds that are perpendicular to the line of load.

I also think it will be more attractive as a finished product than simply square-butting it.

Steve S
homeboy

Question for Otto. In your comment you mentioned stress points at welded corners. The other day I was at the local fab shop discussing triangular gussets for a project and he mentioned it was stronger with the pointed tips nipped off. Is this a similar concept to spread out the stress at the ends of the gusset? Always looking to learn!! :?: :?: :ugeek:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Not Otto but. Any time you can round a corner it will reduce stress. Often you will see patch plates with rounded corner, or when you weld windows into a boiler tube you round the corners of the patch to help relieve stress.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
homeboy

Poland308--Thank you for the quick answer. Now I can see it makes sense.Just another detail to keep in mind to add to the data base. :D :D :ugeek:
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Poland308 wrote:Not Otto but. Any time you can round a corner it will reduce stress. Often you will see patch plates with rounded corner, or when you weld windows into a boiler tube you round the corners of the patch to help relieve stress.
A sqiurcle!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Don't sweat it. You will be protected by the standard "act of God " exclusion clause. :)

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Coldman wrote:Don't sweat it. You will be protected by the standard "act of God " exclusion clause. :)

Sent using Tapatalk
For about three seconds-right up until the Feds get there! :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
thatoneguy

Artie F. Emm wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:This is gonna sound somewhat arrogant, but I have more than enough experience and education for a project like this.
No offense intended. Everyone here wants only to help, but without knowing your specific qualifications, responses were offered with a fair dose of "please be safe" info. We've all cringed at those "I just bought a welder to build my airplane" or "what rod do I use to build a trailer" posts.

No believe me I get that! Lol I was just stating that because my original post was extremely vague and I wanted to clarify but didn't want to sound like a cocky S.O.B. Either.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

Otto Nobedder wrote:From a metallurgy standpoint, E70s-6 Mig wire or ER7018 stick (or ER7014, for that matter) will give you both sufficient strength and sufficient ductility to withstand wind stress and it's own weight.

From a design standpoint, notching and welding on the bias is the best choice you could have made for ultimate strength. This significantly increases the length of weld, and puts the weld in favorable positions for the loads it will see. It virtually eliminates sharp corners, thus eliminating stress risers. It also eliminates welds that are perpendicular to the line of load.

I also think it will be more attractive as a finished product than simply square-butting it.

Steve S

I couldn't agree more! And thanks for the feedback! I'm actually planning on only having 2 stopping points per side. Gonna start out welding overhead/vertical up and then once i hit the corner of the square tubing I will be welding vertical up, kind of. More of a 6G type angle than actually overhead since it will be suspended during assembly so I can get underneath it. I don't know if that makes sense but basically I am trying to limit my starts and stops as much as possible and will probably feather stops and tacks before welding into or away from them.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

Coldman wrote:Don't sweat it. You will be protected by the standard "act of God " exclusion clause. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

HAHAHA!!! Well in the off chance and highly unfortunate event that this big ol' thang ever did come down... I'll make sure to include that with my insurance claim!!!
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

Poland308 wrote:Not Otto but. Any time you can round a corner it will reduce stress. Often you will see patch plates with rounded corner, or when you weld windows into a boiler tube you round the corners of the patch to help relieve stress.
Never knew this but the more I think about it the more sense it makes. Thanks for the info!
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy

Another idea! maybe a 3/32"-1/4" gap with a backing plate??? I figure it can only help so why not? Already have material suitable to cut some backing plates so it won't increase my costs at all?????
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

What ever you do, post some pics! I like seeing projects that are a work of devotion. That adds a little something extra to it that goes beyond tab A, slot B, wire size X, etc.
thatoneguy

PeteM wrote:What ever you do, post some pics! I like seeing projects that are a work of devotion. That adds a little something extra to it that goes beyond tab A, slot B, wire size X, etc.

Will do for sure. Ill probably post some here and then also make a thread in the projects section as well. I can definitely say that I haven't been this excited about a project in a while.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene