It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm Advanced search

Mig Vs Stck for project???????

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Re: Mig Vs Stck for project???????

Postby Artie F. Emm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:13 am

thatoneguy wrote:This is gonna sound somewhat arrogant, but I have more than enough experience and education for a project like this.

No offense intended. Everyone here wants only to help, but without knowing your specific qualifications, responses were offered with a fair dose of "please be safe" info. We've all cringed at those "I just bought a welder to build my airplane" or "what rod do I use to build a trailer" posts.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 pm

From a metallurgy standpoint, E70s-6 Mig wire or ER7018 stick (or ER7014, for that matter) will give you both sufficient strength and sufficient ductility to withstand wind stress and it's own weight.

From a design standpoint, notching and welding on the bias is the best choice you could have made for ultimate strength. This significantly increases the length of weld, and puts the weld in favorable positions for the loads it will see. It virtually eliminates sharp corners, thus eliminating stress risers. It also eliminates welds that are perpendicular to the line of load.

I also think it will be more attractive as a finished product than simply square-butting it.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Question for Otto. In your comment you mentioned stress points at welded corners. The other day I was at the local fab shop discussing triangular gussets for a project and he mentioned it was stronger with the pointed tips nipped off. Is this a similar concept to spread out the stress at the ends of the gusset? Always looking to learn!! :?: :?: :ugeek:
homeboy
Guide

Postby Poland308 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Not Otto but. Any time you can round a corner it will reduce stress. Often you will see patch plates with rounded corner, or when you weld windows into a boiler tube you round the corners of the patch to help relieve stress.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:10 am

Poland308--Thank you for the quick answer. Now I can see it makes sense.Just another detail to keep in mind to add to the data base. :D :D :ugeek:
homeboy
Guide

Postby PeteM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am

Poland308 wrote:Not Otto but. Any time you can round a corner it will reduce stress. Often you will see patch plates with rounded corner, or when you weld windows into a boiler tube you round the corners of the patch to help relieve stress.

A sqiurcle!
PeteM
Ace

Postby Coldman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:33 am

Don't sweat it. You will be protected by the standard "act of God " exclusion clause. :)

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:41 am

Coldman wrote:Don't sweat it. You will be protected by the standard "act of God " exclusion clause. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

For about three seconds-right up until the Feds get there! :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:
thatoneguy wrote:This is gonna sound somewhat arrogant, but I have more than enough experience and education for a project like this.

No offense intended. Everyone here wants only to help, but without knowing your specific qualifications, responses were offered with a fair dose of "please be safe" info. We've all cringed at those "I just bought a welder to build my airplane" or "what rod do I use to build a trailer" posts.

No believe me I get that! Lol I was just stating that because my original post was extremely vague and I wanted to clarify but didn't want to sound like a cocky S.O.B. Either.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy
Workhorse

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:From a metallurgy standpoint, E70s-6 Mig wire or ER7018 stick (or ER7014, for that matter) will give you both sufficient strength and sufficient ductility to withstand wind stress and it's own weight.

From a design standpoint, notching and welding on the bias is the best choice you could have made for ultimate strength. This significantly increases the length of weld, and puts the weld in favorable positions for the loads it will see. It virtually eliminates sharp corners, thus eliminating stress risers. It also eliminates welds that are perpendicular to the line of load.

I also think it will be more attractive as a finished product than simply square-butting it.

Steve S

I couldn't agree more! And thanks for the feedback! I'm actually planning on only having 2 stopping points per side. Gonna start out welding overhead/vertical up and then once i hit the corner of the square tubing I will be welding vertical up, kind of. More of a 6G type angle than actually overhead since it will be suspended during assembly so I can get underneath it. I don't know if that makes sense but basically I am trying to limit my starts and stops as much as possible and will probably feather stops and tacks before welding into or away from them.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy
Workhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk