General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jackstrw68
    Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am

Hello new to the forum. I am a diesel mechanic by trade and have experience Mig welding. Typical truck shop stuff, lift gates, brackets, frames, light fab stuff, etc. I've never owned my own welder and now want to purchase one. I am torn between getting a multiprocess inverter machine or individual machines for each process. I like the basic Hobart 210 machine a lot and also the Everlast machines look nice. My question is how is the reliability with the cheaper multiprocess machines and are they worth the money? I like simple and reliable but want something I can grow into. I plan of doing a lot more aluminum projects at home besides truck and fab work. I use a Millermatic 210 at work. Thanks for any advice.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard. What your plan is depends on what you want to weld aluminum with. Mig or tig. If I was you I would get a powermig 210mp and a lincoln squarwave 200. That is just me though. They are both great machines.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Have the Everlast 160 sth not an AC unit but does fine job TIG and stick for me. Also have the Lincoln Squarewave 200 and it does have AC and DC so I am learning to weld aluminum. It has been a pleasure to own and highly recommend. I think it will even do 1/4 material non critical of course not sure it penetrates deep enough for critical frame welds.
Farmwelding

I guess maybe for you the better option is get the squarewave for tig and stick and then a dedicated mig machine like the Hobart 210
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

I would say it would depend on your budget.. if your on a unlimited budget i would say get a few difrent machines for each process so you have leave them set up for a given task.. but if your budget its more limited i would spend the bulk of your money on the process you know you will do the most.. After that pick up what you can.. if you can only really aford 2 machines.. get something that can do aluminum tig.. and they get something that can do wire and stick welding. as both will come in handy from time to time..

i prsonly go heavier on Stick welding as alot of stuff i do i am forced to do outside.. and it also opens me upto welding more then one type of steel out side.. hence why my stick welder will blow the pants off my wire feed..

Biggest thing is spend the most money on the machine that is going to do what process you are planning to do the most.. weather it be TIG, MIG, Stick. and if your planning to do TIG aluminum make sure it has a few good AC tig functions and a GOOD duty cycle at the amperage your going to be welding in most often... its not a good idea to get a machine that you will always be maxing out..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Jackstrw68

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i know ill need alot of use on the truck repair side so id definitely use a mig process. I was just looking at the Thermal Arc 181i 3in1 machine online. For around 900$ it seems to do alot. These are its specs im seeing.

Processes: MIG (GMAW/FCAW), Stick (SMAW), TIG (GTAW)
Rated Output: 180A/23V @ 20% Duty Cycle, 145A/22.5V @ 30% Duty Cycle
Max. Open Circuit Voltage: 62V DC
Amperage Range: 10-180 Amp
Wire Feed Speed: 100-650 IPM (2.5-17.7 m/min)
Weight: 32.2 lbs. (14.6 kg
Jackstrw68

Ah just noticed i think the fabricator 181i is just DC only.
Jackstrw68

My budget is pretty tight. Id like to spend no more than 1500$.
Farmwelding

Jackstrw68 wrote:Ah just noticed i think the fabricator 181i is just DC only.
Yep almost all multiprocess machines are DC only. You can weld aluminum with a spool gun but you may want to learn aluminum tig. With the thermal arc 180, the duty cycle seems really low at 180 amps. Have you looked at the powermig 210mp. A little more expensive but a phenomenal machine and a better duty cycle.not much better but 25% at 200 amps will help. You might want to look at a multimatic 215. I've heard it's pretty good to. They are all under your $1500 price range to. Just make sure to show around for lower prices and small deals. Welding supplies from ioc has a $15 off deal when you sign up for their email list. Not much but every little bit helps.
Nick
Jackstrw68

I found a lincoln squarewave 175 for 1k $ online. That seems like a pretty good machine. Any experience with it?
Farmwelding

Jackstrw68 wrote:I found a lincoln squarewave 175 for 1k $ online. That seems like a pretty good machine. Any experience with it?
It is a solid tig machine but if you want to do a lot of work on trucks I would say get a mig welder first. In not for sure but you can probably stick weld with the squarewave.
Nick
Jackstrw68

Maybe ill just save a litte more for the squarewave 200 and that will do tig and stick. And eventually get a hobart mig unit. The thing is i alreadybhave some projects in mind that require aluminum so id kinda like to dive right in. I tend to over analyze purchases like this way to much, i just like to get the most for my money
Farmwelding

When you spend over a thousand dollars on One thing you should think it through. Sqaurwave-more amps, good stick, some AC controls for only a little more. Good machine for tig and stick so you can do some fab with DC tig and stick instead of mig for awhile.
Nick
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Jack, in your price range and with the functions you want you are probably looking at AHP or maybe Everlast unless you want to get down to something along the lines of Lotos.
I had an AHP AlphaTig 200 and it didn't go well for me and after that I decided a true ac/dc multi process machine wasn't in my budget so I have a Lincoln 180 mig machine w/ spool gun, a Lincoln square wave 200 and my old faithful Lincoln 225 AC.
I am still looking at other machines and talking to folks about theirs and if your not hung up on AC tig you might want to research the ESAB Rebel 215 IC. you can dc tig with it but no ac but you can get your aluminum welding done with a spool gun, the total cost with the spool gun will put you around 1700 bucks.

I had some issues with the stick function of the square wave at first but I guess it was the rods because since then it has done well for me, I used it Saturday to build a stair hand rail and it ran smooth as silk.

I understand wanting an all in one but for our resources I don't think it is out there yet so I would suggest making up your mind which process is most important to you and start looking from there, I personally feel like if you are only going to have one machine for garage type work and light fab you will be happier with a mig/fcaw machine with a spool gun for your aluminum work.

good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide on.

C
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use a combo of thermal arc 186 and a Lincoln 210 mp at home. At work it's all miller. I use the thermal arc for almost all my AC/DC tig and stick.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Jackstrw68

Grandaddy, thanks for the advice. Yeah im definitely the type where I try to get the most out of my purchase and I didn't realize till I looked that I can't get everything I want in one machine. I'm sure I'd probably use MIG slot, as that's what I learned on and use at work. I'm still mulling my options and will post when I decide. Poland308, how do you like the thermal arc 186? Build quality, reliability? Im debating between a Tweco fabricator 211i or Hobart handler 210mvp then getting a ac Tig down the line
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I like it. I've burnt about a 100# of stick various types. Done enough tig bouncing back and forth between ac or dc to change my 125 cf cylinder 5 times. Did some heavy aluminum cast repair with the machine maxed out. Got the 26 torch to hot to hold but never have tripped the overload. I run it off a 30 amp breaker and I've never tripped that either. Mind that it's 220v. No 110v. Got a watercooled 20 flex now but still run the torch it came with. I didn't like the adjustable thumb wheel that's built into the handle. It was inconcistant. Now I need to buy the pedal separate. I'd recommend the version with the foot pedal or just plan on upgrading the torch to a CK with one of there thumb wheels. I like the pulse feature it has a lot of range on the adjustments and good arc starts even on the low end. Almost every setting is adjustable. I'm so used to scratch start at work I mostly use the momentary switch setup for 2T.
I have more questions than answers

Josh