General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

When companies build a multi process machine like the powermig 210mp and multimatic 215, as we've seen it is a DC only machine. Why is this? Is it very difficult to make a AC/Dc multiprocess welder that is portable? I feel like it would be in these companies benefit to make a multiprocess machine that allows the tig welding of a,aluminum. I don't know a lot about electricity just the basics, but if you are running off of a 110/220 volt outlet that is AC is it that difficult to just bypass the whole conversion into DC to weld aluminum with tig? I mean there is a lot of want for a machine like a 210 mp to tig aluminum. It is one of the more popular questions on here. Why can't this happen or why hasn't it?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I think there are one or two machines around that have AC & HF on multi process but the cost is high - also it's a very new market & while they seem a good idea in principle the majority of welding shops are slow to embrace change or spend on new unproven tech - never seen any multi process in industry round here - for DIY it's more money than most will spend so where is the volume market to support manufacture / developing cost ? - I think in time it will happen as things advance & there is more trust in longevity of electronics - regular multi process machines are only just making a name now - maybe in 5years things will change & AC will also be included - it does add complexity as the AC has to be created in square wave artificially with the ability to control balance - it's not like you can just use the mains sine wave as is - then if it's to be a portable unit it's going to add size / weight etc - would'nt be surprised if high end makers launch some soon - maybe Fronius ? they are doing cool things - other considerations are relying on one machine means if it dies your stuck - if it's thousands of $ would you want it in the back of your truck getting damaged or stolen? - don't get me wrong - I'd like one - maybe in a year or too - or if the Lotto comes up !
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Yeah Fronius will probably have something. Looked on their webpage and clicked on plasma and was thinking I'd see plasma cutters but nor plasma welders. That was new and interesting.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Never actually looked on their site as I know I'm never having that much spare cash ! funny thing is when I went to college we learned gas welding - then AC stick - once mastered they had one remote rectifier so you could try DC stick in case you went pipeline one day - then if you passed all that & time allowed they had one much distrusted Mig which the teacher hated but would show you in case you got a factory job ! he saw no real use for them in the real world - lastly in the theory side we got shown pictures of a theoretical torch that we would never see unless one day in the distant future Nasa had one & that was meant to be Tig - but as shown it produced a stream of arc plasma & would be used more like a gas torch - I heard of micro versions being in production but not seen one - I must look at that Fronius site just to keep up I guess.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

It really comes down to price point. Even though they are good reliable machines packed with features, they are hobbyist/light duty machines intended for hobbyists and small operations.

There is a ton of other things to consider in manufacturing- like circuit design, board configurations, and changes that would need to be made o the actual manufacturing and assembly process- which all cost a lot of money to implement.

If you look at the scale of an operation, you'll understand a little better. A home owner with a day job or one man operation may do a couple thousand to a hundred thousand dollars in business a year.If you change the price of a machine by a couple hundred dollars, that machine is now out of reach.

Then there are mid sized shops. Thats where you'll start seeing the capabilities that cost some money, but they can justify it because they do enough of that type of work for it to pay for a machine to do that type of work.

A large manufacturer may do 10-100 million dollars in business a year. They aren't going to mess with a consumer grade machine that may or may not have a feature that they need. They're going to drop the dough and get what they need to make a couple ten million $$$.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Thought i read somewhere that Everlast had something in the works.