General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:1st post that is quoted-taking about advanced calculus you know finding slopes of curves and areas and rates of changes in graphs-not commonly every day used in the field of welding
2nd post-trigonometry, geometry, algebra, basic arithmetic-used everyday in the field

Both have their place it is just based on my knowledge we as fabricators and welders tend to stay more on the side of trogonometry and geometry since we deal with measurements and shapes that are covered in these studies, but we don't study the instantaneous rate of change or the slope of a circle at a certain point. We only care about diameter, circumference, area and angles for the most part.

Math is important for this I am well aware. Just don't see calculus being used anywhere near as often as geometry or algebra.

Clear that up Poland
Of course if someone wants to show me where it is used I would be delighted to hear about it!
Just because you are unaware of the uses does not mean others should bother explaining them all to you.

The argument of "I don't see the use so it must not be there" is myopic and tiresome.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Farmwelding wrote: Of course if someone wants to show me where it is used I would be delighted to hear about it!
I can do this all day! (not really, but at least this one last time)

Here's a real world problem-

Had to do a restoration on a four point (british) arch for a restoration in which the building had shifted and distorted the original frame. To do this, we had to develop the equation of the circle for the upper corners, the one for the laterals that make the arch, and find all of the points of intersection between the vertices and segments of circles.

So starting with the height and width, using the arc chord theorem to develop the circles, and creating a system of equations to find the points of intersection for all of the above, you can end up with a work of art that sits in the national registry of historical buildings.

Sincerely Farmwelding, this stuff (maths, algebra, trig, calc) is something you can take as far as you want, but you have to have it to take it there.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I've thought and read and re-read and this is what I have come to realize/beleive. So you cam do a lot of the math with more basic math (geometry, trig, algebra) but there are a few exclusions and sometimes it is simpler if you know the math to use a more advanced form or it may be more accurate. With that circle formula Pete, I don't know if it would help at all but I thought of a website we used in pre calc. Desmos graphing calculator-you can put a picture on there center it and then plot points and develop an equation. Maybe it isn't accurate enough or won't work because it is out of porportion- just a thought.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

PeteM wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Not saying it isn't valuable it's just that I most likely won't be using it unless I go work for the AWS and write papers like you shared with us. Keep sharing i may as well use the math for something. Every knf once in awhile it may be useful :D
Ok. That paper was written by a scientist at Bettis Nuclear Laboratory, which is right down the street from me. I've even worked with a few guys that have welded there and at places like Holtech (look them up.)

That work is no joke and they don't accept jokers. You need to prove that you have the smarts and are able to do the mental gymnastics required to understand the importance of the equipment that is being built. Aside from any number of absolutely pristine weld tests you need to complete you are also subject to a written exam. There's going to be some math on it. You better be able to do it, what ever it may be.
Apparently I've only ever met the washouts from Holtec [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I haven't met a single one that could weld anything but pipe, and even that was Debatable!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
PeteM

Farmwelding wrote:So I've thought and read and re-read and this is what I have come to realize/beleive. So you cam do a lot of the math with more basic math (geometry, trig, algebra) but there are a few exclusions and sometimes it is simpler if you know the math to use a more advanced form or it may be more accurate. With that circle formula Pete, I don't know if it would help at all but I thought of a website we used in pre calc. Desmos graphing calculator-you can put a picture on there center it and then plot points and develop an equation. Maybe it isn't accurate enough or won't work because it is out of porportion- just a thought.
I just use a graphing calculator. Ti-98 I think. It fits in my toolbox and doesn't need wi-fi. You can do a ton of stuff with those, like create equations for multiple hole patterns, put them on the table function and lay out a bunch of beams- the uses are endless.

Anyways, point of that was that using a little bit of information and some applied math, you can develop and extract all of the information you need.
PeteM

GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Not saying it isn't valuable it's just that I most likely won't be using it unless I go work for the AWS and write papers like you shared with us. Keep sharing i may as well use the math for something. Every knf once in awhile it may be useful :D
Ok. That paper was written by a scientist at Bettis Nuclear Laboratory, which is right down the street from me. I've even worked with a few guys that have welded there and at places like Holtech (look them up.)

That work is no joke and they don't accept jokers. You need to prove that you have the smarts and are able to do the mental gymnastics required to understand the importance of the equipment that is being built. Aside from any number of absolutely pristine weld tests you need to complete you are also subject to a written exam. There's going to be some math on it. You better be able to do it, what ever it may be.
Apparently I've only ever met the washouts from Holtec [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I haven't met a single one that could weld anything but pipe, and even that was Debatable!

There are always a couple. I ran into a few at Thermal Transfer. Those dudes were pretty sharp though. Except for the one guy. I think they sprayed too much perfume into his hood. :lol:
GreinTime

PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote: Ok. That paper was written by a scientist at Bettis Nuclear Laboratory, which is right down the street from me. I've even worked with a few guys that have welded there and at places like Holtech (look them up.)

There are always a couple. I ran into a few at Thermal Transfer. Those dudes were pretty sharp though. Except for the one guy. I think they sprayed too much perfume into his hood. :lol:
We weld a lot of 18 and 20-22ga stainless and aluminum though, so it's a little bit of a different ball game. Pedal control/heat modulation was not a skill that any of them possessed.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
PeteM

GreinTime wrote: We weld a lot of 18 and 20-22ga stainless and aluminum though, so it's a little bit of a different ball game. Pedal control/heat modulation was not a skill that any of them possessed.

Are you at Holtec?

I've been told that place is ridiculously difficult to get hired on at. I applied once, never heard back from them, then moved on.
Farmwelding

PeteM wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:So I've thought and read and re-read and this is what I have come to realize/beleive. So you cam do a lot of the math with more basic math (geometry, trig, algebra) but there are a few exclusions and sometimes it is simpler if you know the math to use a more advanced form or it may be more accurate. With that circle formula Pete, I don't know if it would help at all but I thought of a website we used in pre calc. Desmos graphing calculator-you can put a picture on there center it and then plot points and develop an equation. Maybe it isn't accurate enough or won't work because it is out of porportion- just a thought.
I just use a graphing calculator. Ti-98 I think. It fits in my toolbox and doesn't need wi-fi. You can do a ton of stuff with those, like create equations for multiple hole patterns, put them on the table function and lay out a bunch of beams- the uses are endless.

Anyways, point of that was that using a little bit of information and some applied math, you can develop and extract all of the information you need.
Id like to take the time to figure out all of that type of stuff on my calculator Ti-84 plus ce. They just have so much you can do with them and I only have so little room in my brain to remember it all. I'll just stick to what we were taught until the AP exam in May so I don't forget any more.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

PeteM wrote:

I like the TI-89 but I like the Voyage 200 (also TI product) a little better.
They have the same capabilities but I like the layout of the 200 and the screen is easier for me to read.
I do the same, use the table feature to display values - super handy.
The cheapest one I've found that has a table feature, trig functions, 4 line viewing window, but no graphs, is the TI-30XS multiview. About $20 and stays in my tool box or glove box.

Desmos graphs nice, and is easy to use for that - but it is limited computationally compared to the 89 and 200 though.

I always use it for the classroom displays because it's easy to see for students.
Then I make sure they access it on their phones in class often so they can use it where ever they are if they don't have a graphing calculator with them for homework.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
GreinTime

PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote: We weld a lot of 18 and 20-22ga stainless and aluminum though, so it's a little bit of a different ball game. Pedal control/heat modulation was not a skill that any of them possessed.

Are you at Holtec?

I've been told that place is ridiculously difficult to get hired on at. I applied once, never heard back from them, then moved on.
No, I'm at a shop in Etna doing architectural furniture. Currently on a massive shelving project for a major retailer. All stainless, all a pain in the dick. You'll see the shelves in a few months if you go to fruit stores to buy cell phones ;)

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Farmwelding

I always use it for the classroom displays because it's easy to see for students.
Then I make sure they access it on their phones in class often so they can use it where ever they are if they don't have a graphing calculator with them for homework.[/quote]

What math classes do you teach?
Nick

Farmwelding wrote: What math classes do you teach?
This year I'm teaching 9th Alg, Alg 2, Senior Math, Pre-Calc/Trig, woodshop, welding.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

exnailpounder wrote: It's been 35 years since Highschool and I have never used algebra one time to solve a problem.
Actually, in a way, you have. Solving algebra problems as a youth builds up the neuron connections in your brain that are used to solve ANY logical problem. The more abstract math (like algebra) that one practices, the more neurons are utilized to make logical thinking/problem solving faster and more efficient. That is the whole point of studying math in school. It's like body building. Unless you're a professional bodybuilder, you don't lift weights for the sake of lifting weights---you're after some other kind of after-effect. Studying math is the "lifting weights" part----solving real world problems [in any way] is the "after effect" of building up your brain muscles (neural activity/efficiency). :geek:
Farmwelding

Well that was quite insightful
Nick
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

44 seconds in :geek:

Farmwelding

Oscar wrote:44 seconds in :geek:

Well that is certainly am interesting theory that I of course have to completely agree with. Makes a lot of sense. Now I must spread the good word to the people of schools across this great land.
Nick
PeteM

GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote:

Are you at Holtec?

No, I'm at a shop in Etna doing architectural furniture. Currently on a massive shelving project for a major retailer. All stainless, all a pain in the dick. You'll see the shelves in a few months if you go to fruit stores to buy cell phones ;)

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for them. I get a kick out of seeing stuff and understanding a little bit about where it came from.
GreinTime

PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote: Are you at Holtec?

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for them. I get a kick out of seeing stuff and understanding a little bit about where it came from.
We also did a bunch of stuff for the Mt Washington update as well as Point Park. Light poles, trash receptacles, benches, that sort of stuff

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
PeteM

GreinTime wrote:

We also did a bunch of stuff for the Mt Washington update as well as Point Park. Light poles, trash receptacles, benches, that sort of stuff

Thats what makes this town great! Its nice to go somewhere and see something and be able to say "I built that!'.

I have some work around town too.