General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote: We weld a lot of 18 and 20-22ga stainless and aluminum though, so it's a little bit of a different ball game. Pedal control/heat modulation was not a skill that any of them possessed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Are you at Holtec?

I've been told that place is ridiculously difficult to get hired on at. I applied once, never heard back from them, then moved on.
No, I'm at a shop in Etna doing architectural furniture. Currently on a massive shelving project for a major retailer. All stainless, all a pain in the dick. You'll see the shelves in a few months if you go to fruit stores to buy cell phones ;)

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I always use it for the classroom displays because it's easy to see for students.
Then I make sure they access it on their phones in class often so they can use it where ever they are if they don't have a graphing calculator with them for homework.[/quote]

What math classes do you teach?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: What math classes do you teach?
This year I'm teaching 9th Alg, Alg 2, Senior Math, Pre-Calc/Trig, woodshop, welding.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

exnailpounder wrote: It's been 35 years since Highschool and I have never used algebra one time to solve a problem.
Actually, in a way, you have. Solving algebra problems as a youth builds up the neuron connections in your brain that are used to solve ANY logical problem. The more abstract math (like algebra) that one practices, the more neurons are utilized to make logical thinking/problem solving faster and more efficient. That is the whole point of studying math in school. It's like body building. Unless you're a professional bodybuilder, you don't lift weights for the sake of lifting weights---you're after some other kind of after-effect. Studying math is the "lifting weights" part----solving real world problems [in any way] is the "after effect" of building up your brain muscles (neural activity/efficiency). :geek:
Farmwelding

Well that was quite insightful
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

44 seconds in :geek:

Farmwelding

Oscar wrote:44 seconds in :geek:

Well that is certainly am interesting theory that I of course have to completely agree with. Makes a lot of sense. Now I must spread the good word to the people of schools across this great land.
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote: We weld a lot of 18 and 20-22ga stainless and aluminum though, so it's a little bit of a different ball game. Pedal control/heat modulation was not a skill that any of them possessed.

Are you at Holtec?

I've been told that place is ridiculously difficult to get hired on at. I applied once, never heard back from them, then moved on.
No, I'm at a shop in Etna doing architectural furniture. Currently on a massive shelving project for a major retailer. All stainless, all a pain in the dick. You'll see the shelves in a few months if you go to fruit stores to buy cell phones ;)

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for them. I get a kick out of seeing stuff and understanding a little bit about where it came from.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

PeteM wrote:
GreinTime wrote:
PeteM wrote: Are you at Holtec?

Cool! I'll keep an eye out for them. I get a kick out of seeing stuff and understanding a little bit about where it came from.
We also did a bunch of stuff for the Mt Washington update as well as Point Park. Light poles, trash receptacles, benches, that sort of stuff

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

GreinTime wrote:

We also did a bunch of stuff for the Mt Washington update as well as Point Park. Light poles, trash receptacles, benches, that sort of stuff

Thats what makes this town great! Its nice to go somewhere and see something and be able to say "I built that!'.

I have some work around town too.