General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

Can anyone give any advice on this as far as the actual rebuild? I've googled and found elsewhere that the safety issues usually pop up and derail the thread. I found one youtube video of someone replacing a seat on a single stage while on the cylinder. I do know that rebuilding it on the cylinder is wrong but it did give some insight into how simple a regulator is.

My regulators are Victor two stage(VTS 450 inert only)and the rebuild kits are here. All of the high pressure seats have busted within a week. There is no oxygen involved here btw.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

MFleet wrote:Can anyone give any advice on this as far as the actual rebuild? I've googled and found elsewhere that the safety issues usually pop up and derail the thread. I found one youtube video of someone replacing a seat on a single stage while on the cylinder. I do know that rebuilding it on the cylinder is wrong but it did give some insight into how simple a regulator is.

My regulators are Victor two stage(VTS 450 inert only)and the rebuild kits are here. All of the high pressure seats have busted within a week. There is no oxygen involved here btw.
I have rebuilt a few regulators and was advised by the place I bought the kit to use "electric motor cleaner" spray to clean the insides and parts. He also sold the stuff so I did. Remove the pressure adjustment handle first or at least loosen it all the way.There are not too many parts in the kit so just pay attention to the order and look at the diagram (should be in the kit) and put it together the same way it comes apart. Use no oil or grease. And inspect all the parts that are not being replaced for any wear or defects. Be careful putting the large plastic (mine was anyhow) seal on under the main large assembly as you don't want to mess that one up. Gravity is your friend there.
MFleet

Ok, thanks. These are fairly large regulators and the threads have a good grip. It looks like I will need to build a fixture to hold them.
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

DSCF0461.jpg
DSCF0461.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 725 times
DSCF0464.jpg
DSCF0464.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 725 times
In case it's a help- i rebuilt a regulator a while back, and lashed up this jig to remove the front cap.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
MFleet

That is a good idea, Artie and simple. Thank you.
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65
Artie F. Emm

Let us know how the rebuild goes!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

MFleet,
I'm just curious about your source for the rebuild kit. Rebuilding regulators is a service we are looking at providing some companies and any additional information would be helpful for us.

You are right though. Most companies don't want the liability of rebuilding regulators. In fact, I would need a special addition to my current insurance to be covered to rebuild them.
Jonathan
Artie F. Emm

When i rebuilt the reg i just googled until i found the rebuild kit specific to my regulator. If you're planning to do this on a commercial basis you can probably find suppliers for a wider spectrum of parts.

If it's helpful- I knew a guy that took this course
http://www.esabna.com/us/en/news/events ... 267=315981
It was back in the day, before Esab owned Victor, but he came back able to repair Victor equipment for the LWS I worked at.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
MFleet

I will post up the progress on these this week hopefully. ESAB tech support responded to my email about the corrupt repair tools file on the website and sent it to me. I've included a pic of the tooling for my particular regulators. The professional fixture looks like a piece of pipe that is notched on the end to grip the all of the bits threaded into the regulator. There is a piece of bar stock on the bottom to grip it in a vise. There is also a pic of the repair parts source and kit.

No oxygen on these particular regulators but here safety video for people considering that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaBghGKAOBo
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00156.JPG (36.52 KiB) Viewed 667 times
victor tools.jpg
victor tools.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Attachments
DSC00160.JPG
DSC00160.JPG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65