General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Ironically I was reading this post and thinking about why my arm was raw feeling. Then I remembered all those scratches came from 8 am when I wedged my arm in to clean out a hole in a wall.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I like to joke that if I haven't drawn blood by nine AM, I'm having a bad day. Little nicks and burns are part of the game. It's not actually a daily thing, but anymore I don't even notice the small stuff until someone asks me why I'm bleeding. I should point out that with the medication I'm on a papercut can look serious to the untrained eye...

Steve S
That's one of the things I've never understood-how can I cut myself and notice for over an hour? Doesn't make any sense. :lol:
Your mind is focused on the task, and you're so accustomed to minor pains, one overrides the other.

That's all I can figure. Until you get in the acetone... THEN the day's adventures become "painfully" clear... :shock:

Steve S
Acetone? Oh yeah..... The stuff I call "Liquid Cut Finder"! :mrgreen:
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

exnailpounder wrote: :lol: I'll come in from work and my wife will ask why I have blood on my face...and i usually have no idea where it came from or what even happened to me.
Actually this is one of the signs of alien abduction, Jeff any other odd or unusual physical or mental issues? :lol:
Richard
Website
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I am sitting here reading this , and both of my hands got bloody today, broke a tap handle, and busted my knuckles, then the other hand slid across the broken part, and I almost pissed down my leg when I picked up and moved a soaked with Acetone towel....
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

You all must use a ton of acetone or something. It's like all of you have a ton of experience with the "cut finder" I have never had this issue. I usually find my cuts by getting some diesel, gas, oil, dirt, gravel, or my favorite grease- the dirt and grease darken everything except the cut-the cut is very vibrant and easily shown.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I worked with mitered and lots of cut angles of aluminum extrusions for a long time and those things will just unzip you and you'd never even know it. Those weird razor like ones that don't bleed for a little bit, then dripdripdrip...

It wasn't odd at all to hear it called out in the shop- "Who's bleeding?".
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If you cut up hot chillis, like harbineros or similar, wash your hands BEFORE going to the toilet. (Or putting your fingers into someplace important). A funny story until it happens to you.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: :lol: I'll come in from work and my wife will ask why I have blood on my face...and i usually have no idea where it came from or what even happened to me.
Actually this is one of the signs of alien abduction, Jeff any other odd or unusual physical or mental issues? :lol:
Mostly mental but I thought it was from drinking :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:If you cut up hot chillis, like harbineros or similar, wash your hands BEFORE going to the toilet. (Or putting your fingers into someplace important). A funny story until it happens to you.
Hahaha!

Happened to me and the wife at the same time. :lol:

Last time she'll ever fall for that one :(
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:You all must use a ton of acetone or something. It's like all of you have a ton of experience with the "cut finder" I have never had this issue. I usually find my cuts by getting some diesel, gas, oil, dirt, gravel, or my favorite grease- the dirt and grease darken everything except the cut-the cut is very vibrant and easily shown.
Brake and carb cleaner finds them too. Nothing is more of a nuisance than a metal sliver you don't know you have until you touch another piece of metal or put on gloves....then you can't get the damned thing out.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:You all must use a ton of acetone or something. It's like all of you have a ton of experience with the "cut finder" I have never had this issue. I usually find my cuts by getting some diesel, gas, oil, dirt, gravel, or my favorite grease- the dirt and grease darken everything except the cut-the cut is very vibrant and easily shown.
Brake and carb cleaner finds them too. Nothing is more of a nuisance than a metal sliver you don't know you have until you touch another piece of metal or put on gloves....then you can't get the damned thing out.
My old "college days" hemostats have a prominent place in my tool box just for removing such annoyances...

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I know a guy who fell off his pushbike and ripped off his finger in some tram tracks.....even he is still annoyed by those little metal slivers.
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
My old "college days" hemostats have a prominent place in my tool box just for removing such annoyances...

Steve S
I still have my roach cl....I mean hemostats too :lol:
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
exnailpounder wrote: I still have my roach cl....I mean hemostats too :lol:

:o :lol:

We all have a past. No two alike, but often with similarities. I'm not ashamed of anything I've done. Stories and scars are similar creatures. Precious to who we've become, and better with each telling.

The older I get, the better I was.... 8-)

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:

Steve S
Sorry but my youth and inexperience have just kicked in. What the he'll is hemostats? Again just young and dumb.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Sorry but my youth and inexperience have just kicked in. What the he'll is hemostats? Again just young and dumb.[/quote]

Just think small surgical grade locking needle-nose pliers......
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

"Hemostat" literally means "hold blood", and is a small, high precision surgical vascular clamp. They are very popular among potheads as "roach clips" to hold the very short remnant of a joint. They are very popular with me as they are also high-precision tweezers for removing the tiniest metal slivers.

Steve S
Poland308

Got a set for my fishing kit. Works great to unhook fish that are hooked deep.

Josh
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:"Hemostat" literally means "hold blood", and is a small, high precision surgical vascular clamp. They are very popular among potheads as "roach clips" to hold the very short remnant of a joint. They are very popular with me as they are also high-precision tweezers for removing the tiniest metal slivers.

Steve S
I think you just called me a pothead, I didn't know you could take slivers out with those things...I use tweezers :lol:
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:We all have a past. No two alike, but often with similarities. I'm not ashamed of anything I've done. Stories and scars are similar creatures. Precious to who we've become, and better with each telling.

The older I get, the better I was.... 8-)

Steve S
I hear that. If we didn't have a past, we wouldn't have any good stories to tell at parties anymore. Who here is doesn't consider themselves "the king of mistakes"? :lol:
Poland308

I make a lot of mistakes! I try real hard to not make the same mistake twice. I'm not sure if that is a good effort because it means I need to find a new solution for every one I make. :)

Josh
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I don't have one of those hemo's but I do have a tiny -about the size of a dime - probably rare earth magnet that I dug out of a speaker or something. This thing is super strong and if you catch a sliver quick before you drive it in it will often pluck it out. Failing that I found ( dollar store ) a pair of tweezers with a tiny flashlite in the middle which even though our eyesight improves with age still comes in handy! As for slivers -die grinders are the worst for me. :roll: :ugeek: