General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

electrode wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:This is so weird reading these posts about the youth. The only young people that will ever read this are not the problem. As per usual the people who need the help don't try and those that don't need it are talking about it. It sucks being a part of this generation. I just hope something or someone like Mike Rowe will help and start a revolution or something.
You are right, they are out protesting for free stuff. :roll:
Well I'm here to tell you that there are some of us younger ones who understand that things cost money time and work. I guess by me being a welder I will pay for everybody's elses crap for the rest of my life. I guess it is a good thing that I chose a career path I enjoy
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Of course it's not *all* the youth. But it sure is a bunch of 'em. Parents have a lot to do with it too. Lot's of parents let their kids do anything they want, and if they want something they just piss and moan and the parents give it to them. When I was a youngster I was working with a paper route in Wisconsin year round and did most all of it with a bicycle. It was my older brothers route and I took it over. That was my first job. And when we caused any trouble, we got the leather belt! That thing will make you learn really fast. :lol:
Farmwelding

electrode wrote:Of course it's not *all* the youth. But it sure is a bunch of 'em. Parents have a lot to do with it too. Lot's of parents let their kids do anything they want, and if they want something they just piss and moan and the parents give it to them. When I was a youngster I was working with a paper route in Wisconsin year round and did most all of it with a bicycle. It was my older brothers route and I took it over. That was my first job. And when we caused any trouble, we got the leather belt! That thing will make you learn really fast. :lol:
Bicycle in winter eh? That must have been fun. Where a outs in Wisconsin were you raised?

Yep-parents are 2/3 the issue and the rest is school and friends and what have you
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
electrode

Yes, bicycle in the winter but during a blizzard our mom would drive me and one of my helper brothers around. :) I was born in Milwaukee and lived in the surrounding suburbs.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I used to be one of those lazy kids that got a lot of what I asked for without having to lift a finger, then I turned 16 and started working and learning....

Now I am 20 and I like the life I have now much better :lol:

I already got plenty of scars to prove it! Which isn't a good thing....
if there's a welder, there's a way
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Olivero wrote: I already got plenty of scars to prove it! Which isn't a good thing....
Those aren't scars, they're Life Lesson Merit Badges ;)
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

When I was in construction it was custom for us "old guys" to tell the young'uns how soft they have it . How we used to walk 5 miles to school and back with a 50lb pack thru 5ft snowbanks uphill each way!!! One thing I really noticed was the farm kids had a definite advantage simply because work was just normal and many skills that came with it. When a town kid started we would get the farm kids to teach them how to back up trailers among other things that the town fellows never had a chance to learn before. I had a good group of "older gents" who would take a young fellow that was trying under their wing and encourage to prove their worth. The ones that learned were treated well and the doggers got run out of dodge real fast. Had a spoiled young guy once that was totally useless and I watched him for a few days to see if he would perk up.No luck so I finally laid it on heavy -last chance or hit the road! I'am a big guy and kinda mad. He stayed -buckled down and worked as a valued employee for several years. When he left he asked me if I remembered the day I laid into him. He thanked me-said it was the best thing that ever happened that I scared the hell out of him and that he stayed clear of me for a while in case I clubbed him or something!! I said no-not my style just wanted to make sure he got the message. Nice to think once in a while something you did helped a bit!! :D :D
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

homeboy wrote:When I was in construction it was custom for us "old guys" to tell the young'uns how soft they have it . How we used to walk 5 miles to school and back with a 50lb pack thru 5ft snowbanks uphill each way!!! One thing I really noticed was the farm kids had a definite advantage simply because work was just normal and many skills that came with it. When a town kid started we would get the farm kids to teach them how to back up trailers among other things that the town fellows never had a chance to learn before. I had a good group of "older gents" who would take a young fellow that was trying under their wing and encourage to prove their worth. The ones that learned were treated well and the doggers got run out of dodge real fast. Had a spoiled young guy once that was totally useless and I watched him for a few days to see if he would perk up.No luck so I finally laid it on heavy -last chance or hit the road! I'am a big guy and kinda mad. He stayed -buckled down and worked as a valued employee for several years. When he left he asked me if I remembered the day I laid into him. He thanked me-said it was the best thing that ever happened that I scared the hell out of him and that he stayed clear of me for a while in case I clubbed him or something!! I said no-not my style just wanted to make sure he got the message. Nice to think once in a while something you did helped a bit!! :D :D
Thats why it's important to us to help the young pups that come around asking for help. Welding isn't a glamorous job so my hat's off to any young person that wants to take it on. There have been plenty of "browsers" come through this site in the time I have been here and we all know who is serious and who is looking for an easy buck. Hell, anybody that can sand the hazing they get here is worth hiring in my estimation. I havetrained some youn'uns in carpentry and had them come back and thank me for sharing and saying how it bettered their life and shake my hand. Great feeling. We all have to make a living...I say let the shitheads learn the hard way and lets help these pups get welding 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:I used to be one of those lazy kids that got a lot of what I asked for without having to lift a finger, then I turned 16 and started working and learning....

Now I am 20 and I like the life I have now much better :lol:

I already got plenty of scars to prove it! Which isn't a good thing....
The scars are a GREAT thing! Nobody gets through life without getting banged up so wear your scars like a badge of honor. I have a knife scar under my eye where a guy cut me in a fight. He cut me and I proceeded to kick his ass so bad they had to haul his ass off in an ambulance. I earned that scar and I still laugh telling the story of a drunken badass with a knife who picked the wrong guy! :lol:
Farmwelding

Scars are like the best thing ever. Good for starting stories off! And they are good reminders of what not to do. Like me I have a great scar from this summer on my left index finger from a chop saw. Cutting some stainless tubing from an old barn. Turned it off and slammed my hand into it. Now I know not to do that. Or when I slammed a nail through an inch of rubber from the same barn demolition. Or my most recent one when a shot a staple gun into my finger this weekend. This just goes to show that engineers are sometimes stupid and put things in the most stupid way. I put the handle the wrong way and shot it right in.
Nick
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I don't know that its a problem with young people in their late teens and early 20's so much. I think people should have a basic concept of tools and how they work/purpose far earlier than that. I learnt by trial and error mostly from a very early age and I also live in an urban area not a farm. Eg, I was using angle grinders when I was 10-12 or so, and the only instruction I had was keep the axis out of the line of sight so if something comes flying off you don't loose and eye. No safety glasses here just bodgy parenting lol. I learnt what happens when you plug it in when its on a bench and haven't checked the switch is off. But all that unsafe mucking around in the garage with different stuff had a huge effect later on. Looking back I took for granted having self confidence to just give something a go, tear it down see how it works and put it back together etc but it goes a long way all through life. I can't help but feel that age bracket from about 8 to 15 is where a lot of that was developed.

Apart from all the social media/iphone/selfies bullshit, one of the biggest changes in the past few decades that is pretty obvious is the amount of cotton wool we keep our kids in. A smack over the knuckles with a ruler is barbaric, yet the school demanding your 8yo boy be medicated with Ritalin or dexamphetamine is ok. We used to have old trains here in the 80's and early 90's and the doors didn't close or could easily be forced open. Trains packed full of school kids would be seen with a bunch of heads hanging out the doors. Imagine if that happened today, people would lose their shit. And don't get me started on fireworks lol. I just can't help but think its not actually their fault, as much as I love putting shit on em. Their attitude towards work and the value of learning skills in general may be lousy but it goes straight back to their parents, can't blame everything on modern technology.

Ok rant over.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Farmwelding wrote:Scars are like the best thing ever. Good for starting stories off! And they are good reminders of what not to do. Like me I have a great scar from this summer on my left index finger from a chop saw. Cutting some stainless tubing from an old barn. Turned it off and slammed my hand into it. Now I know not to do that. Or when I slammed a nail through an inch of rubber from the same barn demolition. Or my most recent one when a shot a staple gun into my finger this weekend. This just goes to show that engineers are sometimes stupid and put things in the most stupid way. I put the handle the wrong way and shot it right in.
Scars are one thing, a body full of scars is a pointer to something else ;) Remember, hard work still deserves you use your brain to avoid the hazards. Don't just rely on braun, think it out, then drop a shoulder into it. Sometimes, life won't offer a mulligan ;)
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I used to work some with a local hoe operator that was the poster boy for scars and missing body parts. Few finger sections gone-bumps bruises etc. We called him "dangerous Dan Magoo" ( not his real name). Nice guy but when he was operating everyone kept well out of boom reach. I noticed over the years anyone whatever age who was missing parts or always nursing a boo-boo to be extra cautious when working around him. It only takes seconds to take precautions-safety glasses-heavy gloves -clear work area etc.- much less than needed to run for the medical supplies. You can't prevent everything but best to try to keep the damage to a minimum. :roll: :ugeek:
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Robots are the coming thing....learning how to program,repair and maintain them are the jobs of the future.
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

One of a kind wrote:Robots are the coming thing....learning how to program,repair and maintain them are the jobs of the future.
Future? I work with them. Dumb little blobs of tech that get confused at the drop of spit.

But they sure beat having to manually perform tasks.

Oh, scars are earned. Hopefully you learn too. Anyone can buy s tattoo.
electrode

Keith_J wrote:
One of a kind wrote:Robots are the coming thing....learning how to program,repair and maintain them are the jobs of the future.
Future? I work with them. Dumb little blobs of tech that get confused at the drop of spit.

But they sure beat having to manually perform tasks.

Oh, scars are earned. Hopefully you learn too. Anyone can buy s tattoo.
Quit spitting on the floor. :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I like to joke that if I haven't drawn blood by nine AM, I'm having a bad day. Little nicks and burns are part of the game. It's not actually a daily thing, but anymore I don't even notice the small stuff until someone asks me why I'm bleeding. I should point out that with the medication I'm on a papercut can look serious to the untrained eye...

Steve S
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:I like to joke that if I haven't drawn blood by nine AM, I'm having a bad day. Little nicks and burns are part of the game. It's not actually a daily thing, but anymore I don't even notice the small stuff until someone asks me why I'm bleeding. I should point out that with the medication I'm on a papercut can look serious to the untrained eye...

Steve S
That's one of the things I've never understood-how can I cut myself and notice for over an hour? Doesn't make any sense. :lol:
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I like to joke that if I haven't drawn blood by nine AM, I'm having a bad day. Little nicks and burns are part of the game. It's not actually a daily thing, but anymore I don't even notice the small stuff until someone asks me why I'm bleeding. I should point out that with the medication I'm on a papercut can look serious to the untrained eye...

Steve S
That's one of the things I've never understood-how can I cut myself and notice for over an hour? Doesn't make any sense. :lol:
:lol: I'll come in from work and my wife will ask why I have blood on my face...and i usually have no idea where it came from or what even happened to me.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:

Steve S
Your mind is focused on the task, and you're so accustomed to minor pains, one overrides the other.

That's all I can figure. Until you get in the acetone... THEN the day's adventures become "painfully" clear... :shock:

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Ironically I was reading this post and thinking about why my arm was raw feeling. Then I remembered all those scratches came from 8 am when I wedged my arm in to clean out a hole in a wall.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:

Steve S
Your mind is focused on the task, and you're so accustomed to minor pains, one overrides the other.

That's all I can figure. Until you get in the acetone... THEN the day's adventures become "painfully" clear... :shock:

Steve S
Acetone? Oh yeah..... The stuff I call "Liquid Cut Finder"! :mrgreen:
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

exnailpounder wrote: :lol: I'll come in from work and my wife will ask why I have blood on my face...and i usually have no idea where it came from or what even happened to me.
Actually this is one of the signs of alien abduction, Jeff any other odd or unusual physical or mental issues? :lol:
Richard
Website
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I am sitting here reading this , and both of my hands got bloody today, broke a tap handle, and busted my knuckles, then the other hand slid across the broken part, and I almost pissed down my leg when I picked up and moved a soaked with Acetone towel....
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
Farmwelding

You all must use a ton of acetone or something. It's like all of you have a ton of experience with the "cut finder" I have never had this issue. I usually find my cuts by getting some diesel, gas, oil, dirt, gravel, or my favorite grease- the dirt and grease darken everything except the cut-the cut is very vibrant and easily shown.
Nick