It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm Advanced search

Recommendation for decent backup helmet?

General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Recommendation for decent backup helmet?

Postby rprecision » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a Lincoln Viking auto helmet and love it. I came from a import auto which I hated and gave me a headache, pos!

Anyways I have my mig and tig at separate places. I keep my mig at my folks place as I don't have room for both. I only have one helmet so I should buy a second for a spare and to keep with the mig.

What's a good cost effective spare? I'm OK with a flip up fixed shade. I just don't want to buy junk. What shade a 10?

Thanks
rprecision

Re: Recommendation for decent backup helmet?

Postby thatoneguy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Best backup hood there is is just a plain old pipeliner. Usually shade 10. You can get a good one 50ish bucks on amazon. Nothin fancy and you'll have to practice your "head nod" but they're a guarantee to work every time.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
thatoneguy
Workhorse

Postby Granddaddy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

my partner at work bought a Carrera from arc one last Thursday, I had tried one before but I tried his out and it was nice. I may get one myself, for 80 bucks it's a pretty good deal and I could see very well through it. I liked the variable shade which I wouldn't have expected for that price range.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Granddaddy
Workhorse

Postby ldbtx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Hard to argue with the pipeliner for a solid backup helmet. Another passive one I've always liked is the Huntsman with the flip-up window. For a passive helmet, I run a Shade 10.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ldbtx
Ace

Postby Rhyno21 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes I have a old Jackson passive lens in it and I am about ready to put a auto darkening piece of glass in it. Do I need the rest of the system or will auto darkening glass shade 10 for when MIG and TIG and 12 for ARC?
Hot rods and burning matal by day
Rhyno21

Postby kblenker#22 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:46 pm

ive got a speedglas and a pipeliner for a backup. cant go wrong with a pipeliner.
kblenker#22

Return to Welding Forum General Shop Talk