General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

I'm about to have business cards made so that I can get my own side project going. I've discovered over the years that I much prefer to repair things as opposed to making things. So I'm going to take my cards around to many of the local auto shops and restaurants, etc in order to try and drum up a little extra cash. I have a couple of guys who I know and can lean on for advice who were/are successful business men although none of them know a thing in the world about welding.
Did any of you start out like I'm about to do?
If not, how did you get started?
Any other advice you wanna pitch my way?
I currently make $10/hour rebuilding hydraulic cylinders in a repair shop so I don't have a lot of cash. But I do have most of the equipment needed to get the job done. I just can't go back to driving trucks over the road. It was good to me and allowed me to buy my welding gear but I can't run even a part time welding business when I'm away from home for two to three weeks at a time.
Thanks in advance for any replies,
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Well I live in a rural area and have been getting the word out (and some business cards) that I am here for welding services, fabrication work not much interested in mobile work. Just about everyone in my area has a stick welder, have three large fabrication businesses in the area, and I specialize in TIG since that is my skill set although I can stick weld. So far nothing going on that I can say keeps me busy. Making a lot of things for myself LOL. You may find your in a better market.

Now to my issue. Working out of my pole barn my insurance agent is warning me that I need to be insured as a business, suggested an LLC etc. and of course then need to tax materials etc. Deal with IRS. So I have basically just helped out friends and neighbors for a donation. This has sort of been a buzz killer, I am retired and cannot possibly go into debt on the prospect I will get some work now and again.

Lots of hidden costs to actually being a business, I am a hobby welder who gladly offers my skills to others.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

I'm where the action is.....right next to Hartsfield in Atlanta. I know that there's plenty of work here, I just gotta grab my piece of it.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
JeffKiper
    Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:56 am

I started out working a full time gig and working part time. When the part time was becoming a problem with my family. I was given the ultimatum Family, Full time ,part time. I could only choose 2 so I quite the full time.

Buy plenty of tools while it's a part time. Keep your family floating off the full-time. Don't go into debt. You can see a lot of guys around Nov and Dec selling tools because they bought them in April after tax time and lost the job. Now their wife is saying how are going to pay for Christmas.

I'm an electrical geek. I have a shop full of tools. Mill, lathe, plasmas , gas drives, tigs, migs, sticks. 90% where paid for before I went full time. I turned wrenches and played machinist years. So when I started out any work was fair game. I'm a tool-aholic.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

One thing I will tell you that I learned the hard way and you will probably think you knew.

Here it is -

Do you know what a business is? You think you do but I'll tell you. A business is a machine to make you money and that is all. Always keep your focus on making money and do the things it takes to accomplish that.

Never get emotionally involved with your business, remember, it's just a machine. If you get employees never get emotionally involved with them. No, I don't mean romantically, I mean keep a business mans head on your shoulder. Never get mad at them, yell, scream or anything else. They are just parts of the machine and if they are not functioning then replace them without a second thought. Keep your eye on the prize and that's making money.

I have been through this and learned the hard way. I could tell you a lot more.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

One way to fail when starting a business is to say to yourself, "if this doesn't work out I can always get a job". Make a commitment that there is no backdoor, you're in it for the long haul. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

BTW, that's how I did it. I got started and never looked back.