General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Poland308 wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:The best advice is to save the money. In business you want to have enough working capital to operate for at least 6 months. Granted that may not apply to a side hustle, but still, I wouldn't buy anything until you need it for a specific job. If you are making money and generating cash flow, try to put aside enough money to pay the mortgage and feed the family for 6 months. Only when you have that covered would I look at other things.

Solid advice! Especially if it's a side Hustle. No telling when you may need to turn it into the full time gig. Then that capital could very well be the difference between failure and success.
That's an excellent point! In the present world economy, one never knows when his side hustle might become the only thing putting food on the table. My work, that at one time I thought bulletproof, was disrupted for three months. I spent that time working with others behind the scenes to make it come back, but not everyone has that (rare) opportunity. I was in the right place at the right time, or I'd have been looking for a new gig at 46, and I would not have been happy about it.

Steve S
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Right now I mig weld on production pay and I know I won't be able to do this forever so I do need a backup plan. The side work so far has been a lot of friends and family but actually paying ones. Mostly family or friends that are in business and needed something welded. I'm trying not to get too spread out because I work a pretty steady 40 and don't feel like working another 40 with kids and a wife to spend time with. I love my family.
Saving is the solid way to go but I do decent on my day job so the side money is just extra money. It does come in handy though. I guess I'm just looking more for an investment in something work related since that'll probably do better than any 401k or stock market stuff at this point. I like Jody's saying "don't be afraid to invest in yourself".