General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
tjmack321
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Hey yall,

Currently attending a welding program here at a community college here in Texas, but moving to Atlanta, GA in a couple months. A quick Google map search shows the following three schools with welding programs in the area:

Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Atlanta Technical College
Chattahoochee Technical College

Are you a student/instructor/graduate of any of these programs or know someone who is? I will be using the GI Bill. Just wanted opinions on the best program, thanks!

-Tim
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I looked around at all the schools, and all of them have like exactly the same program. The one thing I don't like is that they all focus on SMAW (stick) and have just basic GMAW and basic GTAW and based on what I saw no FCAW. This is kind of a turn off to me. I think it is kind of strange to have four classes with stick and then ust one for GMAW and GTAW. Maybe this is normal elsewhere, but around here, we do every process equally.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

tjmack321 wrote:Hey yall,

Currently attending a welding program here at a community college here in Texas, but moving to Atlanta, GA in a couple months. A quick Google map search shows the following three schools with welding programs in the area:

Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Atlanta Technical College
Chattahoochee Technical College

Are you a student/instructor/graduate of any of these programs or know someone who is? I will be using the GI Bill. Just wanted opinions on the best program, thanks!

-Tim
Tim,
I visited the place I learned to weld recently and it still seems way better than most I have visited ...it was called Coosa Valley Tech way back then but the name has now changed to GA Northwest Technical College and its in Rome GA. My good friend Matt Hayden teaches there sometimes too. nothing fancy but solid. Rome is about an hour north of downtown ATL but might very well be worth a drive compared to attending the wrong place.

There is also Georgia Trade School in Acworth but I am not sure if they accept GI bill. I have heard they are strictly self pay. I could be wrong. here is a link http://www.georgiatradeschool.com/
But I have visited and got a very positive vibe from instructors as well as students. you sometimes get a different crowd when everyone has lots of skin in the game.

Also, keep in mind that both Hobart and Lincoln have one and two week programs on TIG and other processes...in case you find a program that is weak on a certain process. Hobart tuition for these 2 week classes is around $850 so a good spend if you ask me. ...hope this helps

Jody
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

I can tell you That Chattahoochee Tech is a "college" that has a welding program, but some guys I work with have said that they require core classes (academic) before or along with the welding part. I know a few that have gone to Georgia Trade School and they are all about welding and happy with their choice.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
tjmack321
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

@Farmwelding: I thought that was a little strange too

@Jody: Thanks I will check those two schools out. Rome is a bit of a commute, but may be worth it.

@WoodpeckerWelder: I checked out Georgia's Trade School's website and contacted them with a few questions. They seem pretty legit. Thanks for the suggestion.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Lanier Tech may be worth looking into.

http://m.laniertech.edu/Default_m.html