General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Bruster
    Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi guys. I'm a relatively new welder if you'll just bear with me. I have done most of my welding with Ocy/Acetlylene and I'm just starting out using MIG for the first time. I don't have a suitable building to weld in and so I do my welding outdoors. I'm finding that with the auto darkening helmet, even set to 9 I have trouble seeing the weld puddle. I'm assuming it's because the sunlight coming in from behind my head is messing with what I'm seeing and that I need to be in a shaded area. Is this correct? Is there a simple way of fixing this? Obviously I could simply put up a temporary "roooof" (Canadian eh) but could I also drape something over my head to keep the light from seeping in or would this be a very bad idea because of fumes. Thanks.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Try wearing a cloth welding cap with a brim on it. Works for me. Put it on backwards so the brim is out the back.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

I put Velcro tabs on the helmet and then the corresponding tabs on a 2' x 2' piece of leather. It makes a nice hood that does not seem to collect fumes.

Light shining in the back of your helmet will certainly cause a reflection issue so any way to reduce it helps. Moving the work so the light is in front of you instead of from behind is the quick way (if possible).