General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

What are some good and bad things to be putting on a resume when looking for a welding job?
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Certs even expired ones. 6010 root 7018 cover. Any tig certs. Work locations that involve fabricating. Other jobs that infer cross skills like electrical, hydraulic, or rigging skills. Employers also look for safety training stuff. Lift operating or crain skills.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Certs even expired ones. 6010 root 7018 cover. Any tig certs. Work locations that involve fabricating. Other jobs that infer cross skills like electrical, hydraulic, or rigging skills. Employers also look for safety training stuff. Lift operating or crain skills.
+1
If you're targeting a specific company learn what they do and add to your resume what skills you can offer that they need.

If it's an aerospace company they probably aren't interested in your bridge fab skills...that's just an analogy, you know what I mean
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Poland308 wrote:Certs even expired ones. 6010 root 7018 cover. Any tig certs. Work locations that involve fabricating. Other jobs that infer cross skills like electrical, hydraulic, or rigging skills. Employers also look for safety training stuff. Lift operating or crain skills.
+2

Good info. When I hired in at my present job, I went in blind, referred by a headhunter. I only knew what industry it was. So I edited my resume' to reflect my experience in structural fabrication and welding, pipe fabrication and welding, valves and air operators, gauges and instrument tubing, and electrical. I included my experience with forklifts and overhead cranes. Every one of these skills was needed in the company, and they hired me on the spot. I'm now, to the best of my knowledge, one of the top paid people there.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Not to take away from the question, but another critical thing with getting a job. What about interviews? What do you say(throw in some bs or not because I've heard both). What do you bring(tool wise)? Now I'm assuming for these interviews you dress like you would go in to work that day, but I don't know because thanks to the public education system I was told to be a preppy jack wagon and dress up extensively for interviews and be a butt kisser. So what do you know about that?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Not to take away from the question, but another critical thing with getting a job. What about interviews? What do you say(throw in some bs or not because I've heard both). What do you bring(tool wise)? Now I'm assuming for these interviews you dress like you would go in to work that day, but I don't know because thanks to the public education system I was told to be a preppy jack wagon and dress up extensively for interviews and be a butt kisser. So what do you know about that?
Great questions! How to respond will depend on the situation and interviewer, which can be hard to read, but my tendency is to be brutally honest, and keep my answers short but in a pleasant tone. Eye contact is important. Don't stare, but don't avert your gaze if stared at. (Assertive, not aggressive.) As for dress, the best cheat is when you're called to schedule the interview, ask outright, "Is it likely I'll be asked to weld test? I'd like to dress appropriately." Failing that opportunity, I will dress nice with awareness for the position I'm seeking. I won't wear anything I'm afraid of getting dirty or burned. Clean/new denim for pants, 100% cotton shirt. I will bring my hood, jacket, gloves, and safety glasses in a duffel, and if I've chosen shoes, my work boots will be in the truck. Show up like you mean business.

There's a ton of experience with weld job interviews here, so I expect many more opinions will come.

Steve S
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

When you go to the interview dress as if you could go to work right then and there. The clothes should be clean of course but even wear your work shoes/boots. Also, have your gear in your truck (hood, gloves etc.) so if they ask you to burn some wire/rod/stick etc.