General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

As part of my quest to learn TIG, I decided to invest (heavily) in a $55 Harbor Freight welding table. I can MIG on the garage floor or a workbench, but TIG is so complicated, I have to weld at a reasonable height on a metal surface.

Here's my question: do people tack stuff to these tables? The table looks to be plated with something. I'm wondering if tacking would give off fumes that would cause me to expire on the garage floor.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm sure there is some coating that is toxic. Now a little here and there probably won't kill you but everyday or week may have some damage. My question is why do you want to tack to the table. Why not clamp. The coating is there for a reason-to protect the table from rust. I'd keep it and make jogs and clamps if you need something special or a certain way.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:As part of my quest to learn TIG, I decided to invest (heavily) in a $55 Harbor Freight welding table. I can MIG on the garage floor or a workbench, but TIG is so complicated, I have to weld at a reasonable height on a metal surface.

Here's my question: do people tack stuff to these tables? The table looks to be plated with something. I'm wondering if tacking would give off fumes that would cause me to expire on the garage floor.
Well you never know what mystery metal you're getting from the Chinamen but I haven't heard of a death yet. Tacks won't put out enough smoke to kill you but tigging through that cadmium(?) coating might give you a fit. Who else notices that Harbor Freight stink when they walk in? Smells like burnt hair wrapped in a baby diaper. Chinese cosmoline to keep their junk from evaporating in the salt air from the boat ride over here.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

It almost sounds like you're not impressed with this marvel of engineering.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:It almost sounds like you're not impressed with this marvel of engineering.
:lol:
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I remember the time my step father in-law was over and he was in the converted garage (rec room) playing solitaire or something on his computer. I walked in there with the wife and mother in-law and we all noticed it smelled funny in there and he said it was the rice paper in the new ceiling fans (from Harbor Freight or WalMart). I actually think he farted though... :lol: Now that I think of it once we were driving around with the in-laws and the mother in-law was in the back seat and I am sure she farted as the vehicle had the oxygen masks drop down from the ceiling. I blamed her and she said it was "swamp gas" from the construction area we were driving through. Gotta love the excuses. 8-)
Last edited by electrode on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:It almost sounds like you're not impressed with this marvel of engineering.
Chips...I'm a cheap basterd and I buy stuff from HF. Some of their stuff you can get away with but .... 8-)

It will definitely be better than the garage floor, and if I ever get a real table, I can use this one for times when I have to leave the shop. God bless Harbor Freight. As long as you by the right stuff and work with its limitations, it's a great store.

I do wonder why I had several washers left over when I assembled it. I even had two bolts that don't fit any of the holes in the table.
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:It will definitely be better than the garage floor, and if I ever get a real table, I can use this one for times when I have to leave the shop. God bless Harbor Freight. As long as you by the right stuff and work with its limitations, it's a great store.

I do wonder why I had several washers left over when I assembled it. I even had two bolts that don't fit any of the holes in the table.
:lol: I vbuy shit from the store and always wonder why there are a few bolts and nuts left...my wife asked me why there is extra shit left and I just tell her it's because the Chinamen add extra shit in case you drop a few and can't find them. It's been working great for 8 years :lol:
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

It's not just Harbor Freight either. I get those extra bolts working on my brakes too? :)
exnailpounder

PeteM wrote:It's not just Harbor Freight either. I get those extra bolts working on my brakes too? :)
OH NO :lol:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

When you MIG, you ought to spray your surfaces (including the table) with Anti-Spatter spray. It will prevent the spatter beads from sticking. After you're done, a cold chisel will literally knock them off with no residue or scarring.

As for your table, clean it well with Acetone or a non-chlorine Brake Cleaner and some shop towels. See if that makes a difference.

Tacking to a table top is a common practice. It keeps pieces in place far better than clamps alone, unless you have a filtering table. Mine I made from 5/8 plate, mag drilled 5/8" holes on a 3x3 tube base. Its 4'x'6 and a beast but offers great room to work. Replacing it as we speak (so to speak) with a 3/4" table because my buddy wanted to build one so I sold him mine and replacing it. I'll have less than $750 in it and 24sq/ft of work area. Only way to go!
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

When there's stuff left over when fixing stuff Its just the manufacturer reminding you that they do supply spare parts....
if there's a welder, there's a way

The weird thing about the extra parts is that they don't fit the table.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I've wonder occasionally if some underpaid assembly line worker is having an occasional joke at our expense when we find those extra pieces.

While dropping pieces from a completely different packaging line in the box: "Hey Zhao, how long do you think the crazy American will scratch his head when he can't figure where these go?"

Joking aside, I have the little folding welding table from HF, and a few beads of aluminum TIG welding while clamped on the top of the table started peeling the coating off in flakes and sheets. I'm guessing it's a cheap attempt to yellow zinc plate it, that wasn't all that well prepped.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

FWIW, I make a point to avoid Harbor Fright. I don't even look it it when I drive by. :)

You could look at it but flip your helmet down.