General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

PeteM wrote:It's not just Harbor Freight either. I get those extra bolts working on my brakes too? :)
OH NO :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

When you MIG, you ought to spray your surfaces (including the table) with Anti-Spatter spray. It will prevent the spatter beads from sticking. After you're done, a cold chisel will literally knock them off with no residue or scarring.

As for your table, clean it well with Acetone or a non-chlorine Brake Cleaner and some shop towels. See if that makes a difference.

Tacking to a table top is a common practice. It keeps pieces in place far better than clamps alone, unless you have a filtering table. Mine I made from 5/8 plate, mag drilled 5/8" holes on a 3x3 tube base. Its 4'x'6 and a beast but offers great room to work. Replacing it as we speak (so to speak) with a 3/4" table because my buddy wanted to build one so I sold him mine and replacing it. I'll have less than $750 in it and 24sq/ft of work area. Only way to go!
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

When there's stuff left over when fixing stuff Its just the manufacturer reminding you that they do supply spare parts....
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

The weird thing about the extra parts is that they don't fit the table.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I've wonder occasionally if some underpaid assembly line worker is having an occasional joke at our expense when we find those extra pieces.

While dropping pieces from a completely different packaging line in the box: "Hey Zhao, how long do you think the crazy American will scratch his head when he can't figure where these go?"

Joking aside, I have the little folding welding table from HF, and a few beads of aluminum TIG welding while clamped on the top of the table started peeling the coating off in flakes and sheets. I'm guessing it's a cheap attempt to yellow zinc plate it, that wasn't all that well prepped.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

FWIW, I make a point to avoid Harbor Fright. I don't even look it it when I drive by. :)
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

You could look at it but flip your helmet down.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.