General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
alexwa
    Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi. I make furniture and would like to add some solid brass or bronze elements to my work. I'd love to know which of the two materials would be better for load-bearing components, and also, what would be the best way to weld / braze / solder my work so that it was strong enough to bear a person's weight. I've added a picture of something similar to what I'd like to do. Thanks so much. alex w
Attachments
20170328_230043.png
20170328_230043.png (408.28 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Have you considered welding the frame out of steel and then having it brass plated. It would be stronger lighter and cheaper.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Not attesting to strength , bronze is easier to tig because it has no zinc to gas out like brass does.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

" Hi. I'd like to begin working in brass or bronze..."

No, you don't.

That shit is just plain dirty and nasty, brass is very difficult to weld due to the components in it boiling off when you light it up as well as the smoke cloud it throws in your face.

Bronze might be a different story but Brass is where you get that nice shine. I would go with what Poland mentioned, doing it out of steel and then brass plating it would be a good idea, regardless you would have to do some serious polishing work once its welded to get it so shiny.

Steel for one is easier to weld and easier to work with and much more common. If you do decide to go the fun brass route then best o' luck, invest in a respirator and a fan for sure.

I would recommend brass, I don't think bronze square tube is that common but brass is.
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Show us what you have been doing so far. Brass and bronze aren't worth messing with. Use aluminum and anodize it gold...far easier than trying to join brass and bronze.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
alexwa
    Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks so much guys. I will definitely look into some kind of plating. I had no idea brass or bronze was so troublesome. In answer to your question exnailpounder, I don't have any pics to show you what I've done so far as all I have done is some simple steel welding, but I'll definitely keep you posted when I do get something done on this style. Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your help. :)

alex