General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
clark
    Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:56 am

I'm new to welding. I've taken one community education class taught by the ag teacher at the local high school. It was a really bare-bones class. Now I want to buy a welder. I have no aspirations of becoming certified or using it to make a living. I'll be doing mostly yard art type sculpture. But I think I would like something that is versitile enough so that I can use a variety of materials. And lets assume that I'm capable enough that ease of learning or ease of use is not a big issue. And let's also assume that I should buy more machine than I think I need at first.

I've been poking around several forums, so I've read just about all there is to say about buy American vs buy foreign, so I would rather not be lectured about that issue. At this point I'm open to American or foreign, with a definite leaning toward American, if I can afford to get what I decide I want.

So, if I can buy only one machine, what should it be? TIG, MIG, stick or a combo machine (I'd really like a plasma cutter, also)?

And should I also try to learn oxy/acetylene welding? Or is it just completely out of date for most uses?

Are there any good places to look for used equipment?

Thanks.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

clark,

27 years ago I bought my first welder, it was (and still is) a Miller Thunderbolt AC Stick (SMAW) welder. I used this welder to build my shop infrastructure. I built a welding table, bench grinder pedestal, press brake stand, handles, and welding tools for holding things in place and countless other items. When you want to weld a different type of metal, just change the rod. Of course there are limitations, but for general welding the old "BUZZ-BOX" will work when others fail, and outdoors there is no equal (IMO).

I have used this welder to weld plates on the end of large pins that attach a large hydraulic ram to a large CASE tractor. When I need deep penetration into thick material, the SMAW process is what I turn to. I have used this welder to weld cast iron using Nickel rod, along with ample preheat using propane.

If I had no other welder, then I would purchase a Transformer/Rectifier type that was capable of performing AC Stick, DC Stick, AC TIG , DC TIG, AC Pulsed TIG, and DC Pulsed TIG. This welder must be capable of a wide current range, say 5 to 225 amps (AC/DC), where steel sheet from 36 to 2 gauge can be welded.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

First off, let me say im in the market for a new welder too. Ive done =alot= of research (mainly trying to find a cheaper one thatll do the same thing). Everlast machines, for the price, you wont beat the features.

If you want an all in one stick, tig, plasma, ac/dc-this is the machine i would go with-http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power ... 51-pd.html

Middle of the line, may be a little more machine than you think you need-but you'll have the features/power there IF you ever do need it. You dont wanna run a machine at max out duty cycle its whole life. If your gonna be welding aluminum, you need the extra features too.

At just over 1000 dollars, it may seem a bit pricey-but remember, buying a welder is an investment-And they hold their value second to none. Thats why theres little point in buying a used one, cause their almost the same price as a new one.

edit-oxy acetylene still has its uses too, especially if your into sculpturing. In face you can build a whole airframe with an oxy acetylene torch. Im sure some things are easier with oxy acetylene. But even if yuo dont -weld- with it, you'll want the setup for the cuttin torch. Im not sure the max thickness of a plasma cutter, but you can cut -anything- with a cutting torch. (anything ferrous, mind you :p)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kermdawg,

I just looked up the post you are quoting (from "sarge") in your signature line. It's a lot funnier in context! :lol:

The person describing his Al welds as "Monkey Nuts" was being waaaay too hard on himself.

BTW, I've seen "grapes", "dog ticks" and "hemorrhoids" hanging from welds, but "monkey nuts" is a new one for me, and I'm going to use it. I won a "six-pack" bet with a kid I welded with in a power plant coal bunker. I bet him I could find a grape I could hang my hardhat on. I wish I still had the picture. :D

Steve
rickbreeezy
    Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:33 pm

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 19&start=0

It is alot funnier in context, and I've been wondering just what that meant for awhile now.

I'm gonna use it too. :lol:

-Rick
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Still makes me laugh to this day :)

See I borrowed one of your lines too Otto? That quote means alot to me, it hit it right on the head. Sometimes ya do some work and everyone thinks it looks spectacular, and all you see are the tiny imperfections that gnaw at ya and yuo wanna spend hours going back to fix :p
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

When I got out of welding school I bought a dynasty 200. Ya it was expensive I have no need for stick and already have a mig welder. I will say from my experience it was money well spent I couldn't be happier. Haven't run into a situation where I need more amps (YET) but yes if it was in the budget deffinetally would have gone bigger.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kermdawg wrote:Still makes me laugh to this day :)

See I borrowed one of your lines too Otto? That quote means alot to me, it hit it right on the head. Sometimes ya do some work and everyone thinks it looks spectacular, and all you see are the tiny imperfections that gnaw at ya and yuo wanna spend hours going back to fix :p
That's exactly how I meant it. I'm not too hard on myself on the structural stuff anymore, but anytime I do a critical weld, I ask someone else to QC it for me. If I do it myself, I may do two things: Separate fly shit from pepper (pick on tiny details), and, because of this, miss something important. I always ask someone with at least my skill level. The fresh set of eyes will save me from a mistake, as well as save me from wasting time fixing stuff that doesn't need fixed, but just isn't "good enough" for me.

I'm glad to hear someone else say it.

Steve