General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok, I have said it on the other part of this site that I'm going to be buying a TIG machine. So, in the meantime I'd like to see how you folks store your TIG rod for easy accessibility. I need to start formulating some ideas and I'm almost out of projects. :D Got some pics?

Thanks
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

This contains most common stuff I use. Big tubes hold 10lbs steel and stainless, 5 lbs if filled with aluminium. The small tubes hold around 2lbs to 1lbs depending on material. Don't have pic of the other rod storage on phone but looks similar only mounted to wall. Each tube labeled with specific alloy and color coded by type of metal.
0406171903_HDR.jpg
0406171903_HDR.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
0413152152a.jpg
0413152152a.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
0412151810b.jpg
0412151810b.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I made these at a cost of about 2 to 3 dollars a piece. I cut my rods down to 18 inches.......i don't like welding with the long rods.

I had a guy at work cut the holder out using a CBC machine......i then bent it up on the company brake.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rich, you know an organized shop is a sign of a sick mind... :roll:

I like that solution! I've no doubt you have them clearly labeled.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Rich, you know an organized shop is a sign of a sick mind... :roll:

I like that solution! I've no doubt you have them clearly labeled.

Steve S
Or a machinist
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
rahtreelimbs

Steve......they are labeled although not all of them are used yet.

I have so much crammed into my garage that keeping it clean is a necessity. Besides I don't like a dirty shop....trying to start up a small fabrication business I like people coming in to see things well organized.......gives them an idea of who they are dealing with.
Last edited by rahtreelimbs on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich, I have no doubt you'll impress. My joke was poking fun at myself for being so (apparently) disorganized.

I'm not so disorganized as it appears, because I'm working at least three projects at a time and still know where all my tools are, but to the untrained eye, I look like chaos personified.

Steve S
rahtreelimbs

Otto Nobedder wrote:Rich, I have no doubt you'll impress. My joke was poking fun at myself for being so (apparently) disorganized.

I'm not so disorganized as it appears, because I'm working at least three projects at a time and still know where all my tools are, but to the untrained eye, I look like chaos personified.

Steve S
Steve.....i knew you were joking.

rahtreelimbs wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Rich, I have no doubt you'll impress. My joke was poking fun at myself for being so (apparently) disorganized.

Steve S
Steve.....i knew you were joking.
I have no doubt of that, either. You're not the only one reading this, though.

...and I enjoy poking fun at myself. I refuse to take myself seriously.

Steve S
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:
Or a machinist
Hey, I resemble that remark! :D
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Made these (out of wood :oops: ) years ago before or right after I bought my SW250DX. I have since added more tubes to both ends of one of them (not shown) as I am a tig filler hoarder. :lol:
DSCF0513.jpg
DSCF0513.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Dscf2891r.jpg
Dscf2891r.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

rahtreelimbs wrote:I made these at a cost of about 2 to 3 dollars a piece. I cut my rods down to 18 inches.......i don't like welding with the long rods.

I had a guy at work cut the holder out using a CBC machine......i then bent it up on the company brake.

How often do you grease them? (grease gun is handy) :lol:
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

You guys put me to shame :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Olivero wrote:You guys put me to shame :lol:
Me too.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Mine are just in boxes or tubes laying on the shelf with sharpie on the saying what it is :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Good onya guys.
Now I have another first world problem to address.
Seems ignorance can be bliss :D
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Olivero wrote:Mine are just in boxes or tubes laying on the shelf with sharpie on the saying what it is :lol:
I just refill the old shitty plastic tubes that rod comes in...my 70s2 storage is the 10# cardboard box it came in. I suppose if NASA ever called me to come and take a weld test, the tester would punch me in the face for rod abuse but in everyday life I don't have too many problems 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I just lean the plastic container against the wall and jerk it up when I want another rod and grab as they all launch up.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick