General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

This also suggests that polishing is not likely to make anything magnetic...

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:As you can see, the second reply supports Erich's statement about cold-forming producing martensite.

The first reply suggests to me that your beer keg may have intentionally been welded with an "overalloyed" filler, perhaps because ferrite and beer might not get along as one would wish?

The fittings you find that are or are not magnetic, the difference may be heat treatment after being drawn versus no heat treatment. I've encounter much Chinese 304 that is strongly magnetic, and I suspect the price reflects not annealing the finished part.

Steve S
Well there we have it. I never really gave two chits about whether my SS was magnetic and never thought to check before but it is a really interesting metal and gosh it welds nice but I have been ingrained to think all SS is non-magnetic when in reality it's not. Thanks China! Thanks for getting the info Steve.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes thanks!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

Wow thanks Eric and Steve. That answers may questions. The one sample that I have is 304 stainless. I used 308 filler.
It must have had some of that ferritte in it.
Ill have to read the articles later, but realy interesting.
Maybe I should finish reading "metals and how to weld them"
Started to read it a while ago, got in 4 chapters.
Again thanks.
Danylo :D