Ok, I knew going in this was going to cost some money but it was more of a personal project.
Here goes -
First, I dismantled to vise completely
Second, I inspected all the parts. The screw was in good shape but the bolster was real rusty as well as the handle as well as bent.
Third, I sent the big parts out for sandblast. That was $75
Fourth, I then took the screw, cut and removed the handle and machined about .05-.06" off the bolster OD to clean it up. I also, re bored and sleeved the bolster so the handle would glide through nicely. The original bore was toast.
Fifth, I made a new handle from 3/4" 1045 shafting and used 1-3/8" dia case hardened balls which I drilled and tapped for the handle ends.
Sixth, I had to remake the swivel locks as they were rusty. They were made from 3/4 1045 and fitted with 5/8" case hardened balls on to 3/8" 1045 shafts.
Seventh, all the appropriate pcs. were sent out for yellow zinc. $75
Eighth, when the parts were back from sandblast I masked the appropriate areas and painted ( 2 coats with rattle can) with Rustoleum blue.
Ninth, I assembled all the pcs., highlighted the identifying lettering/numbering and there you have it.
It was a lot of fun!